CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

See if I got it....

Old 12-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
2i2_D3gr33s
See if I got it....

Okay, so I've been doing some planning on future breeding, and I want to see if I'm correct in my analysis.

Let me begin with this question. How many different partners is it okay to breed a male with in a single season? I've read that even four or five times would be okay if the little man's up to it.

Anyway, I've got a male diffused, and plan on breeding him twice, once to a diffused, where I'll get all bloodreds.

The other, I'm planning on is a charcoal, which should give me all normals het diffused, het charcoal...right?

Then, If I then breed the siblings together, I should get about:
9/16ths normal (66% poss het. Bloodred, 66% poss het. Charcoal)
3/16 Bloodred (66% poss. het Charcoal)
3/16 Charcoal (66% poss. het Bloodred)
1/16 Pewter

Pewter is what I eventually want to get, but my question is this....How many generations is it okay to inbreed? I would like to pair the Gen 1 sibs together as many times as it takes to get a Male and Female Pewter. Now, by crossing these Gen 2 cousins (or siblings possibly) is this going to cause any problems?

Oh yeah, please correct me If any of my calculations are off.

Thanks guys.

Old 12-14-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Susan
Looks like your calculations are correct. There is always a slight risk of bringing bad genes to the surface when line-breeding, but sometimes, that is the only way to get the combination you're looking for. Your F2 breedings will more than likely turn out OK, but you have several years ahead of you before you get there. If possible, save a few dollars and purchase another corn to add to your breeding program...one that already has a head start to your ultimate goal, such as a pewter, bloodred het charcoal or charcoal het bloodred. These aren't overly expensive (generally around $200 for a hatchling) and you could get one to breed with your F1 generation and even an original adult from your pair. Even getting a normal het bloodred and charcoal from another line to breed with your F1 offspring is an option.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
These aren't overly expensive (generally around $200 for a hatchling) and you could get
$200 for a hatchling bloodred het charcoal, or a pewter? If people are willing to pay that I might need to start powerfeeding my pewter to get him up to breeding weight asap!

Old 12-15-2005, 08:09 PM   #4
Susan
OK...so I over-estimated a bit! Rather that than under-estimate! I've been looking at adult prices for awhile so I guess those numbers were stuck in my head. Rich sells bloodred het pewter hatchlings for $90 and pewter hatchlings for $100.

Old 12-15-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
pgr8dnlvr
HAH! You guys think that's bad??? Here in b.c Canada a plain old snow can fetch $100 - $110 in the petshop I work at... I just bought an amber for $90 wholesale, which would mean in the shop we'd sell it for $180... Ug you guys are so FREAKIN' lucky!!

Rebecca

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google