CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Quick Question

Old 07-15-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
Taceas
Quick Question

This is the first time I've kept my mice outside. Since we moved I don't want the mouse smell in my new house.

Since things have heated up here in Southern Indiana, I've noticed my mice not breeding/birthing as much. Is this normal as the temps are routinely above 80F?

I know chickens slack off from laying during hot periods, I didn't know if mice applied the same logic.

What are optimum temps for mice and successful breeding? I'm guessing the same type of temps I'm seeing in my own home, 71-75.

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2004, 03:36 AM   #2
Siva
temps of 70-80 are ideal but lower 70's is better. They are not too dependent on temps for breeding but too hot of temps can lead to infertility in males so that is what is probably causing your problems. Are they in an outdoor shelter? if so a fan could help or a mini AC unit. also high temps can lead to heatsroke but if they have plenty of water they should be fine as long as temps don't exceed 90 but preferably not to exceed 85. Good luck with them

Old 07-16-2004, 03:49 AM   #3
magick-bears
Hi Misty,
I can tell you from personal experience in raising mice commercially in a barn type setting that the temps are going to affect the breeding. As Amy said the ideal breeding temps are roughly 70-75. Though, they also breed very well in temps as low as the 40's as long as they have had time to acclimate. However, temps above 85 will cause sterility in adult (over 3 months old) males. This sterility can actually set a breeder way back as it can last for up to 3 months after the last day the mouse was subjected to the extreme temps. Also Fans are not much help when it comes to Temp related breeding problems. They are great in preventing heat exhaustion as they keep the air moving. But they don't seem to do much in actually lowering the temps.

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google