CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Salmon Ghost

Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #61
beautifullywild77
This has actually helped me greatly reading your guys post. I have a "pink" snow. I dont know his genetics, he was a Petco find. He is a light pinky peachy snow. So if want to prove out his genetics it would be very confusing but this thread could help me!

Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #62
beautifullywild77

Old 03-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #63
ZiggysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave partington View Post
My turn.
I've decided to sit here on the naturalistic style poly-resin bench under the ficus tree on the side of the stage & observe how this one plays out.
Hi Dave. May I join you on the bench?

I am enjoying learning new things tonight.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #64
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by SODERBERGD View Post
I jokingly tell folks that I pity the next generation of corn snake breeders, but it's NOT a joke. It's about to get very very confusing. We're on the cusp of having dozens (if not hundreds) of parallel phenotypes for non-allelic genotypes.

I guess it could be worse. At least we don't have to wait 340 day (gestation period for most horses) for breeding trials, AND we get more than one foal from our trials. That, and look how much longer some animals take to reach sexual maturity? I guess there's a bright side to any potential tragedy?

Don
Something that keeps running through my mind is, how can you test a Hypo/Strawberry. I mean if you DO have a H/S and breed it to only one of the traits, you will still get Hypo/Straws in the clutch and seeing Hypo & Strawberry are hard to differ, how would you know

Then on top of that adding RedCoat................Huh?????

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #65
chris68
I think that hypo A, Strawberry and Hypo/Strawberries can be differentiated between by examining the way the pigment cells appear and change thru a shed cycle under microscope

Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #66
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
I think that hypo A, Strawberry and Hypo/Strawberries can be differentiated between by examining the way the pigment cells appear and change thru a shed cycle under microscope
LOL..............yeah I read that in Chuck's book. That sounds like a fun time

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 03-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #67
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Smith View Post
LOL..............yeah I read that in Chuck's book. That sounds like a fun time

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!
Doesn't sound like alot of fun to me. I have a tough enough time getting one to stay still long enough for a photo. Lol

Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #68
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tuttle View Post
Doesn't sound like alot of fun to me. I have a tough enough time getting one to stay still long enough for a photo. Lol
AMEN !!

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #69
chris68
lol I know I know, but I'm open to ANY other ideas for sure

Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #70
ecreipeoj
Quote:
This seems to be the only way to be 100% sure. The only way that Straw was determined to be different than Hypo and an allele is through this method.

When Walter said that Don S's Coral Snow proved to be homo for Hypo, I wondered how he knew. I assume he bred it to a Hypo, or recovered a Hypo from hets he created, but this would not prove that Don S's Coral Snow was a Hypo Snow, Hypo/Straw Snow or Straw Snow. The production of a Hypo only proves than it is one of the three possibilities.

I still like the title of this thread, even though nobody is calling them Salmon Ghost yet. Common Names help to shorten labeling morphs and just about ALL of them also let you know what the genetics are behind the morph, for example Snow (Amel Anery) and Blizzard (Amel Charcoal).

The use of Coral in this case has two meaning, which to me is definitely a cause of confusion. Coral is used for a Hypo Snow and for PINK coloration on a Snow or Ghost. Each line of pink Snows already has a lineage name, such as Bubble Gum, Neon, and Champagne.

If I were producing Ghost that I knew were homo for Strawberry, I would call them Salmon Ghost, and Snows that were homo for Strawberry Salmon Snows, which would tell the buyer, the genetics behind the morph. Obviously selective breeding has been done with the Salmon line to make them pinker than a standard Straw Anery. I think in this case, the selective breeding has brought together, Homo Straw Anery and Red Mask and Red Coat.

It seems the best of the best Salmons have all of these traits, which is why they are so pink and so desirable. I also think that Salmon is just as descriptive of the extreme pink on Salmon Snows and Salmon Ghost as coral is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google