CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Salmon Ghost

Old 03-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #71
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj View Post
If I were producing Ghost that I knew were homo for Strawberry, I would call them Salmon Ghost, and Snows that were homo for Strawberry Salmon Snows, which would tell the buyer, the genetics behind the morph. Obviously selective breeding has been done with the Salmon line to make them pinker than a standard Straw Anery. I think in this case, the selective breeding has brought together, Homo Straw Anery and Red Mask and Red Coat.

It seems the best of the best Salmons have all of these traits, which is why they are so pink and so desirable. I also think that Salmon is just as descriptive of the extreme pink on Salmon Snows and Salmon Ghost as coral is.
This is EXACTLY how I was looking at.

I figured that if the same traits that give the Jim(SWR)/Jeff(JMG) line of Ghosts their intense pink coloration as the Salmon Snows, why wouldn't their line of Ghosts also be labled Salmon.

I see alot of "Coral" Ghosts with alot less pink saturation and to see a Ghost with a little pink and a Ghost with a ton of pink BOTH being labled as "Coral" to me is confusing..............plus the term "Salmon" is pretty much linked visually (in Snows) to a VERY high saturation of pink color.

Salmon also seems to identify a particular line.......SWR & JMG.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #72
Susan
With the OP's permission, I have moved this thread to the more appropriate Genetics forum.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #73
chris68
It would be nice to see or hear results from outcrossing neons, champagnes etc. especially in regards to the presense or not of any "red" factors. I'm still under the assumption that it would be present in some of the F1's if the "pink" parent was a carrier?

Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #74
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
It would be nice to see or hear results from outcrossing neons, champagnes etc. especially in regards to the presence or not of any "red" factors. I'm still under the assumption that it would be present in some of the F1's if the "pink" parent was a carrier?
I purchased my original Champagne male ACR 3695http://herpregistry.com/acr/Registry.php?idnum=3695 to create projects with. If you go to this link and then scroll to the bottom, you will see a list of his offspring that are currently registered and be able to see their photos.

When I bred him to my Striped Amels, which I have always selected for red over the years, I produced 100% RedCoats. When I bred him to a RedCoat Amel Sunkissed ph Lava, I produced 100% RedCoats. When I bred him to a very pink Lavender Motley, I produced 100% RedCoats. In 2011, I bred him to a RedCoat Sunkissed Lava het Amel to add to the project from the Amel Sunkissed breeding and produced 100% RedCoats.

The only pink line Snow I bred him to was to a pink blotched Snow Motley which traces back to Snows from Lloyd Lemke. At the time, Lloyd had Bubble Gums and Pink and Green Snows. I saved back a few and ended up with two females. ACR 8476 is one of them. She is not as pink as either parent and seems to have picked up about 50% of the pink coloration from each parent. I believe this may have been a RedCoat X Red Mask breeding.

This breeding and other RedCoat x Non-RedCoat breedings is beginning to make me believe that RedCoat is co-dominant like Diffused, and perhaps even variable like Diffused. Being co-dominant, means that you can see the effects of the gene as het, like Diffused. A Het RedCoat has a slight coat of red color and homo RedCoat are the intense RedCoats I have posted photos of.

I believe Champagnes are homo RedCoat.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #75
Tara80
I don't know if this will help or cause more confusion.

Here is a definite strawberry. She looks lighter than she is with the natural lighting.

Another Strawberry

And here is one that I suspect to be Hypo A/Strawberry:

You can see how much 'lighter' he is.

The first girl and this last boy are siblings, he definitely 'has' strawberry.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #76
SnakeAround
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I have a funny feeling that I'll just be calling mine "really pink ghosts/snows/whatever" as I don't think this will be figured out any time soon.
Same over here. I'm gonna call my future coral ghost Tessera's 'really awesome pink SnakeAround ghost Tessera's If people are interested I can tell which breeder my breeding stock came from and what the breeder told about it;

This was my question to Jeff:

have you tested for strawberry in the coral ghost line? They look a lot like strawberry anery's people say. And the snow is just a snow genetically, right?

This was his answer:

"i dont think there is a strawberry gene its just a line bred trait that acts dominate. i took my extremes and bred them into the ghost line and in 2 generations i have coral extremes that look better than the coral ghost line. i just took a shortcut by using the extreme. this proves to me there is no strawberry gene."

On his site he says the foloowing about the extreme corns;

The extreme corn trait behaves like it is a dominant trait, but we believe it is a polygenetic trait. The extreme corn snake lines are the highest red corns we have ever worked with and so far we have not seen any other red corns that can compare to these.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #77
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post
Same over here. I'm gonna call my future coral ghost Tessera's 'really awesome pink SnakeAround ghost Tessera's If people are interested I can tell which breeder my breeding stock came from and what the breeder told about it;

have you tested for strawberry in the coral ghost line? They look a lot like strawberry anery's people say. And the snow is just a snow genetically, right?

This was his answer:

"i dont think there is a strawberry gene its just a line bred trait that acts dominate. i took my extremes and bred them into the ghost line and in 2 generations i have coral extremes that look better than the coral ghost line. i just took a shortcut by using the extreme. this proves to me there is no strawberry gene."

On his site he says the foloowing about the extreme corns;

The extreme corn trait behaves like it is a dominant trait, but we believe it is a polygenetic trait. The extreme corn snake lines are the highest red corns we have ever worked with and so far we have not seen any other red corns that can compare to these.
With all due respect, Jeff is wrong about his line not being homo for Straw. The source of his line used Strawberry to create them.

Jeff's Extremes have always looked like RedCoats to me. Adding RedCoat to Straw Anery Amel, makes perfect since to create his Salmon Snows of today.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #78
Tara80
I concur with Joe there. Also, it's been independently observed under macro that strawberry and hypo are clearly different and that it's passed on recessively and allelic (to hypo A).

After thinking about this a bit, even though the trait has been proven as a recessive separate gene (strawberry specifically), the red can still be intensified via line breeding (just like most other genes/traits). This would apply to both strawberry AND redcoat. The fact that it IS a separate gene and that it can be line bred are ... apples and oranges.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #79
dave partington
whatever a salmon or a coral was composed of 10-15 years ago may not be the same concoction of genes today.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #80
Tom Tuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Smith View Post
This is EXACTLY how I was looking at.

I figured that if the same traits that give the Jim(SWR)/Jeff(JMG) line of Ghosts their intense pink coloration as the Salmon Snows, why wouldn't their line of Ghosts also be labled Salmon.

I see alot of "Coral" Ghosts with alot less pink saturation and to see a Ghost with a little pink and a Ghost with a ton of pink BOTH being labled as "Coral" to me is confusing..............plus the term "Salmon" is pretty much linked visually (in Snows) to a VERY high saturation of pink color.

Salmon also seems to identify a particular line.......SWR & JMG.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!
The Corals that Jeff produces are variable too, the females in particular develop much less pink.

One problem with a name change now is the fact that Jeff has already marketed the Coral Ghosts for about 6 years worldwide. I believe Jeff coined the Coral Ghost name, since then it has always been associated with his line of very pink ghosts. Thus far I haven't seen any other Coral Ghost advertised that were not decendents of the JMG/ SWR lines.

Out of respect for Jeff & the shafting he already took on the Granite/ Terrazzo name debacle. I plan on continuing to market the Ghosts I produce from the JMG/ SWR bloodlines as Coral Ghost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAround View Post

This was his answer:

I was told pretty much the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecreipeoj View Post
With all due respect, Jeff is wrong about his line not being homo for Straw. The source of his line used Strawberry to create them.

Jeff's Extremes have always looked like RedCoats to me. Adding RedCoat to Straw Anery Amel, makes perfect sense to create his Salmon Snows of today.
I agree! Great looking Champagne BTW! Joe do you have any theories on the disparity of the amount of pink between the sexes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara80 View Post
I concur with Joe there. Also, it's been independently observed under macro that strawberry and hypo are clearly different and that it's passed on recessively and allelic (to hypo A).
Great Strawberry examples. It appears that you can have both homo Hypo Straw and Hypo/ het Straw within the clutch. Were there any Straw/het Hypo ?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google