CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

stupid breeders why cant you just leave things be

Old 08-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #1421
DragonsDenSerpents
Just want to point out that "pure" corns can and do eat each other and as far as I'm concerned, should not be cohabbed. The exception being by very experienced keepers such as SnakeAround who know how to properly do it and who have the experience to back it up. I do not agree with cohabbing corns, but I can accept the way the responsible European breeders do it.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #1422
Kokopelli
Had to kick in, Crypto...
No quarantine will not promise anything. Have you ever washed water dishes with the same utensil? EVER? Have you ever took an uneaten rodent from one box and passed to another? Have you ever accidentally switched water dishes? If the answer is yes to any of the above, you have facilitated means for Crypto infection.

Crypto is HARD to diagnose… the current methods are inaccurate at best.
Crypto is HIGHLY resilient(by highly I mean nigh unaffected) to Chlorine, Bleach, Alcohol.

The only way to kill it is via ammonia at 10% and exposure to it for 8 hours… another method is steam cleaning… continued exposure to the sun…
I would know, I lost a good deal of my collection to Crypto, and have sent fecal samples of every single animal I owned.

The popular assumption is that up to 50-60% of the Leopard Geckos in the hobby are Crypto positive. God only knows how what’s the ratio for snakes… I’d say… getting close to that.
It infects easily, the snake can be a carrier without you knowing about it for years… even for their entire lives.

I have 3 Crypto positive animals I keep in another room… I use latex(single use) gloves which I throw after every use, single use water dishes, I steam clean their viv once a month or so. They don’t show a SINGLE symptom- and have been in infected status for well over 6 months.
I clean their viv-things in an entirely different sink.

So… there are no promises, the routine quarantine means absolutely squat when dealing with Cryptosporidium.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google