CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Difference between Okeetee and Extreme Okeetee?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
Geminiluna
Difference between Okeetee and Extreme Okeetee?

If this question has been asked here before, please point me to a link of the thread. Otherwise, what's the difference between an Okeetee and and Extreme Okeetee?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Buzzard
"extreme" = existing in a very high degree (exaggerated lengths)

Extreme okeetees typically have very thick black borders around their saddles or in the case of the reverse okeetee a very high degree of white borders around the saddles.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Nanci
My understanding of it is, it's just a trade name. I think Graham Criglow was the first to use it. With good reason! His male, the Halloween Okeetee, has a great number of saddles which have such thick black borders the saddles are completely black. Add to that brilliant orange and red- there's your Extreme. A number of people have adopted the term. If you look at Graham's website, Strange Cargo Exotics, you can find a photo of the Halloween Okeetee. He's gotta be one of the top ten all time gorgeous cornsnakes.

And I have a daughter, Raven!!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Geminiluna
Wow, Nanci! I just looked at Raven on your website. She's amazing!

Can Okeetee's get spots and stripes like motleys and such? Or does that change them into something that's no longer an Okeetee? (showing my ignorance of the morphs, here)

Old 12-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #5
Chip
Depends on who you ask! An "okeetee" is just a normal corn, so you could have a motley or stripe okeetee, though those pattern mutations often mute black and contrast. 8 years ago, to me an Okeetee was a snake caught on the Okeetee hunt club in coastal SC. I've visited there a few times and caught a few snakes there. They are really, really pretty corn snakes. I can post some pictures of wild caught locality animals, I have owned over a dozen WC's. I still have one old girl left from the hunt club floor. But they probably don't look like you expect them to.
I appreciate "okeetee phase" normals, which have high contrasts and bright colors and sharply defined black borders. I do wish another name had been adopted, I like Robbie's "Fauxatee" best, and I do own some non-locality ones as well, and that is what I will label them as when I make and sell some one of these days. Extreme just means turning up the color, hue and contrast!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
Geminiluna
Would love to see some pictures of the WC locality animals, Chip!

I saw what is supposedly an Okeetee "hatchling" at the pet store yesterday. Couldn't tell much from the coloration on the little guy, but the belly checkers were spectacular. I'd never seen something like that before. I was sorely tempted to come home with it. But after Sixx, I'm a bit gunshy of a little one. But now looking at pictures, I'm tempted.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Chip
Hold off! Don't pick an Okeetee on the belly checkers. Here are a couple locality w/c ones from Okeetee:

I hardly even have any pics of any Fauxattes! I'll get some of the ones that are up before the new year and post 'em. Tap me on the shoulder if I forget.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
Nanci
(I'm going to make Okeetee-phase Tesseras in 2013, with Gartersnake and a girl that's on loan from Jarrett and Troy- Madras. She has the most INSANE aberrant pattern. So- I have no idea what is going to pip out!!)

Don Soderberg _might_ have 2012 Okeetees left. Lee Abbott undoubtedly has Okeetees for sale.

I'd be gun-shy, too, about buying from a pet store again.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Nanci
Here's a photo of the happy couple!

Old 12-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #10
Chip
I have a couple Fauxattees I could sell, but all that I don't have plans for happen to be irritable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google