CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Patternless and vanishing pattern questions!

Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
chris68
"I do not know the genetic origin of Aztec in the trade".

AFAIK John Albrecht was one of the first to work with them, per Kathy L...

Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
dave partington
Thanks Chris.
It would be good to know what Aztec is genetically derived from.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #13
chris68
I haven't heard from John or seen him around for years. There was a blurb in Kathy Loves Corn Snake book that mentioned he was one of the first to work with them, but no other info...

Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
dave partington
I PM'ed Kathy ; hopefully she'll come out & play.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
chris68
Miss Kathy rules, hopefully she does Dave

Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #16
dave partington
Indeed she does.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #17
fyrefocks
"If you breed
motley with no other pattern hets X stripe with no pattern hets ,
you get all motley because motley is dominant to stripe.

Then you take one of those motley offspring and breed it X stripe with no pattern hets

Technically you should get back all motleys, but some may be visually striped, and they should be all motleys. But sometimes there is a gene of motley and a gene of stripe, one of each, and a homozygous motley stripe pops up, but you can only figure this out from test breeding to prove it out
."

Dave, why do you hate me so much?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #18
gelshark
That's all good but, I wonder what would happen if you tried to put mascara on a cat?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #19
kathylove
It's actually been a LONG time since I worked with zigzag / Aztec corns. I think we were among the first to notice the zigzag pattern and selectively breed to increase it. But I think that John A. and Rich Z. might have gotten hold of some of the less curvy, more geometric looking Aztecs around the same time. I can't remember if Rich was the first one to call them Aztecs, though. I do remember that we started out with the same w.c. female from Pine Island that was the founder for the charcoal gene. She also had a few wavy, connected blotches. When we inbred to produce charcoal, we started getting more connected blotches, too. But early on in the project, most were ziggy for only about 15 - 25% of the body. So we started selecting for the ones with the ziggiest patterns and went from there. I assume that Rich and John and others with the straighter, more geometric patterned founders started in a similar way. But I would have to actually consult my book to jog the ol' memory at this time, lol!

I should mention that not all bloodlines were compatible. I once got a 95% ziggy corn from Mark Bell and bred it into my line of zigzags. But it never produced anything unusual. I assumed that meant that the broken patterns must be produced by different genes, which may vary in different bloodlines. But I never kept up on genetic work done by others once I got out of them, so my knowledge may be dated by now.

Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
dave partington
Thanks Kathy!!

Examples of various critters from J M G VP line.
One starts out with twin stripes but it turns into a single dorsal stripe, so it may be the beginning of a new pattern line, if it proves out.
Others show lack of pattern, or diminished pattern. One is sort of aztec-y looking, it is a "het vp".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google