CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

In order to produce a coral

Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
dakota11
In order to produce a coral

If you bred an anery, a snow and got a ghost. The ghost should have anery, hypo correct? Now if you breed the ghost to an amelanistic what are the chances in getting a coral? Although coral ghost was what I think I was aiming for.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #2
bitsy
If you breed an Anery and a Snow, you'll get all Anerys het Amel. So in order to produce Ghosts, both the Anery and Snow have to be het Hypo. Probably not unusual these days.

From those first generation Ghost offspring, Ghost (Anery Hypo) x Amel will give you all Normals, het for Amel, Anery & Hypo. So you won't get any Coral Snows in the second generation.

However if you breed two of those offspring together three years after that, you statistically have a 1 in 64 (less than 2%) chance of producing a Coral Snow in the third generation. So pretty long odds and quite a long wait to see if Murphy's Law decides to leave you alone!

Try playing with the Corncalc: http://www.corncalc.com/

Old 01-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Susan
And it also needs to be said that not all hypo snows have that lovely coral peach/pink color. Some actually look just like "typical" snows. For example:

Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
dakota11
My anery and snow produced ghosts 2 years in a row. I held back one. I'm gonna re read above

Old 01-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
chris68
There's definitely more to it than just combining hypo, anery and amel genes. That was just what everyone assumed what was at play, or took it at face value when those working with them told their "recipe" when in reality most of them had no clue what made their line of snow more pink than others, or had some clue but didn't want others to know...

What does your holdback ghost look like?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #6
dakota11
I will try to take some pics tomorrow., sadly the father snow was very pinkish and due to having several males, he was one of the ones that I sold last year.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google