CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Christmas hypo

Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
eeji
Christmas hypo

Has it been 100% proven that christmas sits on the hypo locus?

If so, is it known how christmas reacts with hypo and strawberry (ie. recessive, codom or dominant?)

Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Susan
According to the 2011 Cornsnake Morph Guide, it has been proven that the Christmas gene sits at the hypo A locus. As for how it works, what I can infer from what is written in the guide, it acts similarly to strawberry in that the phenotype varies with what gene it is expressed with. I'm not sure if it has any affect when only het with wild type so I would strictly call it recessive at this time.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
diamondlil
I've bred my Christmas hypo to a granite, to give het Christmas/anery/diffused offspring, and also with a Love okeetee. I plan to breed him to a diffused het amel next year

Old 01-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
eeji
so christmas/hypo and christmas/strawberry are different phenotypes to hypo, strawberry and hypo/strawberry (however minute the visual difference to the naked eye may be)?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeji View Post
so christmas/hypo and christmas/strawberry are different phenotypes to hypo, strawberry and hypo/strawberry (however minute the visual difference to the naked eye may be)?
Yep, and under the microscope the pigment cells look different too. This is my Christmas hypo, Lola

Old 01-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
BSLMichael
Here is My Christmas Hypo! His name is Typhoon.
Name:  Typhoon (12).JPG
Views: 110
Size:  68.2 KB

Old 01-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
eeji
They are gorgeous, loving how intense the colours are , and thanks for the info too I'm starting an update to the guide on Ians Vivarium so keep an eye out for the new pages

Old 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
diamondlil
At some point I should try to get some good natural light photos of Lola. With the flash the deep cherry red of his saddles isn't shown.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #9
eeji
that would be great, thank you. Theres no rush though, its going to be quite some time until the update is complete

Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #10
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeji View Post
that would be great, thank you. Theres no rush though, its going to be quite some time until the update is complete
No worries. I was over the moon Lola got 'in the vivarium'. His offspring are colouring up nicely too and hopefully next year I'll finally have Christmas bloods to show you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google