CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

PILE-O LAVAS & LAVA CINDERS !!

Old 06-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Daniel Wakefield
That is a tantalizing pile of goodness!

Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #12
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wakefield View Post
That is a tantalizing pile of goodness!
LOL........I knew you would be happy to see this pic. Daniel.
It won't be too much longer, hang in there man

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
steve roylance
Very nice clutch Walter!!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #14
Mitchell Mulks
Nice clutch Walt! Good to see that that young man proved out too! This year I'll have lavas het cinder stripe, so hopefully in a few years I'll be making YOU drool.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
SarahP
Oooh, lava cinders...

Because I need more snakes. o.o But. I have neither lava nor cinder in my collection yet.

Good looking snakes, Walter!

Old 06-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #16
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve roylance View Post
Very nice clutch Walter!!
Thanks Steve !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Mulks View Post
Nice clutch Walt! Good to see that that young man proved out too! This year I'll have lavas het cinder stripe, so hopefully in a few years I'll be making YOU drool.
Thanks Mitch and I hope you do. I don't mind drooling every now and again.......LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
Oooh, lava cinders...

Because I need more snakes. o.o But. I have neither lava nor cinder in my collection yet.

Good looking snakes, Walter!
Thanks Sarah !!

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:26 AM   #17
carol
Congrats! Looks like I may have not needed to start that thread I started....

Please tell me you hatched female Lava Cinders? I need to be reassured that my 12 males in a row is just a hot streak.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #18
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol View Post
Congrats! Looks like I may have not needed to start that thread I started....

Please tell me you hatched female Lava Cinders? I need to be reassured that my 12 males in a row is just a hot streak.
Thanks Carol !!

pretaining to your question, unfortunatly NO I did not.
I'm starting to think we may be dealing with "Sex Linked" genes in the Cinders, just as it had been proven in the Banana/Coral Glow Ball Pythons.

Here is the explination from a Ball Python breeder in what they found with the Banana/CG Balls:

By now, most of you have heard or read about the so called “sex linked” trait the coral glows and bananas possess. I am sure most people thought it was some made up story to convince buyers that there were a limited number of males produced to preserve the pricing of the project. I was skeptical in the beginning, but took the chance in buying a male. From what I was told by multiple breeders in this project, was they were getting predominantly female corals/bananas and predominantly male non corals/bananas siblings. Well from my breeding in 2011, I noticed the “sex linked” trait in all of my clutches. The corals were predominantly one sex and the non corals were the opposite sex but the difference is that I got the complete opposite.
What we figured out is that my male came from a visual male coral. And the male corals/bananas produced in the past came from female corals/bananas. This made us to believe that whichever parent that is the trait carrier will determine what the sex the male coral glow/banana offspring is going to produce.

To simplify the explanation:
*If the male coral/banana was produced from a female coral/banana, that male will produce predominantly females (Female makers).

*If the male coral/banana was produced from a male coral/banana, that offspring will produce predominantly males (Male makers).

*All of the non coral/banana siblings in the clutch will be mainly the opposite sex.

I say this because I find it odd that you asked, which tells me you produced ALL males, as well as I did.
The Sire used in my breeding IS a Lava Cinder. The three NON-Cinders (Lava het Cinder) in the clutch is ALL female ????
Was the sire to your clutch a Lava Cinder?

Plus, last year ALL of the Buttermints I produced from my MALE Buttermint, were ALL males, the only females were Butters (NON-Cinder).

This breeding actually started me thinking about this "Sex Link" thing, but now after this year, I'm betting this may be the case.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #19
DuxorW
Even with a sex-linked trait you should get females that are lava cinder if one parent is homozygous and the other is het. For example, in humans the gene responsible for red-green color blindness is on the X chromosome and is recessive to wild type. But males only have one X chromosome so if they have the mutant allele for color blindness they will be colorblind as they have no other X chromosome carrying a normal allele. In females, having one mutant allele is fine since they have two X chromosomes and the other chromosome will have a normal allele which is dominant. However, if a male with color blindness mates with a female who is a carrier, 1/2 the daughters will be colorblind (all of the daughters will receive a mutant allele from dad, and half will also receive a mutant allele from mom). Even though sex chromosomes and sex-determination are different (and not fully understood) in corn snakes and humans, if the trait is simply sex-linked you should get lava cinder females from that pairing. I have my own idea although it will require a lengthy explanation, hopefully I can get around to it soon!

Old 06-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #20
DuxorW
Walter and carol, can you give me the genotypes of the dames? Are they lava het cinder, cinder het lava, or het for both?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google