CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

PILE-O LAVAS & LAVA CINDERS !!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #81
5 Star Serpents
I purchased 2 Homo Cinder females from Carol a few years back, both bred this season, 1 clutch was a crap shoot with bad fertility and all the good eggs ended up dying. The other clutch is fine, I haven't sexed them all yet but of the ones I have it was a 3.2 so far. I will sex the rest tonight and post it.

It was Cinder X Cinder pairing.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #82
DuxorW
Yes, we'd expect an equal sex ratio in a cinder x cinder pairing because the cinder allele isn't affecting the sex ratio of the clutch as a whole. I predict that if you breed a het cinder male to one of those cinder females from Carol, you will get both male and female cinders.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #83
Nanci

So is this correct?

WT= Wild Type

I didn't think I was going to post this when I was writing it out, or it would have been neater...

Old 06-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #84
DuxorW
Yes Nanci. I was about to upload a similar chart but your handwriting is better than mine

Old 06-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #85
Nanci
So I am quite happy that a female peppermint is the foundation dam for my peppermint tessera project! Bred back to her son, I should get a 50:50 M/F mix.

My other two cinder projects- my targets will all be male. Unless there is crossover.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #86
DuxorW
Yes. Given enough data, we could eventually calculate the probability of a crossover, although based on the results from Carol and Walter, the frequency is very low. I guess the moral of the story is that it seems prudent to start cinder projects with a female that is homozygous cinder.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:29 PM   #87
Nanci
So- since it appears that cinder is apparently sex-linked, I wonder if any other genes are?

Old 06-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #88
DuxorW
I think the corn has 36 chromosomes and the Z and W are small, so the odds aren't high by any means, but it's something to keep in mind especially as new single gene mutants are discovered. Cinder is a newer mutation so I'm not surprised this is just coming to light. Imagine the headache involved with combos of sex-linked genes!

Old 06-18-2014, 03:47 PM   #89
cguarino30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
So I am quite happy that a female peppermint is the foundation dam for my peppermint tessera project! Bred back to her son, I should get a 50:50 M/F mix.

My other two cinder projects- my targets will all be male. Unless there is crossover.
Good news for anyone hoping for a peppermint stripe male from squirrel and chipmunk, though.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #90
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
The good news, I guess, is that so far all of the data we have seems to follow Duxor's hypothesis. As long as that continues to hold up, it might be a pain to work with, but at least we'll know what we are working with. Much better than just thinking you are getting really bad odds over and over and over.
I agree and......

.....This is what I thought the first year, but then the following not so much and then this year, GOTTA be something going on !!

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google