CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

A New Cornsnake Morph Calculator!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
eeji
A New Cornsnake Morph Calculator!

Ians Vivarium is proud to announce the release of a new and up to date morph calculator for corn snakes!

http://iansvivarium.com/morphcalculator

I'd also like to say a massive 'Thank you' to Adam at ProCorns for writing the original CornCalc and making Ians Vivarium a part of it, and giving the inspiration to create this update

Old 04-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Dragonling
Still no red factor/red coat? :P Gonna need to add golden soon, too.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
eeji
Red factor is still 'a work in progress' (read: I don't properly understand it all just yet )

Once I've sussed it out it will be added to the calculator and also the guide.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #4
DollysMom
Thanks for this. Even for us non breeders this is a great learning tool!

Old 04-20-2016, 03:38 PM   #5
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeji View Post
Red factor is still 'a work in progress' (read: I don't properly understand it all just yet )

Once I've sussed it out it will be added to the calculator and also the guide.
It's going to be a mess to separate from strawberry, tbh. Most of the things listed under various strawberry morphs are actually red factor or red coat. (Compare the strawberry plasma I added to the morph list to regular hypo plasmas...they're basically the same.) There are tons of people still selling their corals and salmons as strawberries, and while some might have the strawberry gene, it DEFINITELY does not produce the vivid color seen in salmon snows, etc. It doesn't help that there may be more than one incomplete dominant "red factor" gene, and it's difficult to prove out without expensive genetic testing.

I seriously considered the idea of creating my own morph gallery (and in fact I have a very long list open in a text document at the moment for a similar purpose), but I lack the programming know-how and motivation to really try to do something that large on my own, so I would much rather see Ian's Viv continue to improve in accuracy and usefulness. I was disappointed when the thread for creating morph descriptions vanished. I assume that project was culled, though I don't know why. I think it would be great to add more complete general history and descriptions for single gene mutants, along with notes on certain combos on differing phenotypes, problems with genetic or sex linkage, etc. There's a ton of information scattered across various websites...how great would it be if the majority could be gathered under one domain?

As an aside, I can think of two, possibly three more upcoming genes that are also missing from the list. Heck, four if someone ever proves out Hume's peach phase gene.

(e) Helps if I add my actual critique of the new calculator... Functionally, it's coming along nicely. Visually, it's a bit messy and oversized. Everything should be visible on a single page without scrolling. Right now, it's a massive list that requires 3 page downs to reach the bottom. I realize the focus right now is probably on making sure it works vs. making it visually pleasing, but overall the site (especially the excess white space within posts on the forums) in general feels uncomfortably large for PC viewing.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
eeji
Thank you for the feedback

The layout I agree could do with more tweaking, unfortunately some scrolling will be inevitable due to the increased number of loci that needs listing, and also the layout has to collapse into a single column for mobile screens.
The results is also in the planning stage for an update (already!) to list genotypes separately to phenotypes with possible hets. This is going to be quite time consuming but will eventually be done and will hopefully vastly improve the visual layout.

Red factor/red xxx/red yyy is next on the 'to do' list - Theres things I need to know before putting it all on so its not giving wrong information.

Masque and pied sided are being tested by various people so with a bit of luck we'll know once and for all how/if its all linked, then those too can be added.

The descriptions seem to be missed by a lot of people, so I'll re-open the thread on IV (it was closed due to wrong stuff getting posted, and long essays instead of keeping it short, sweet, and to the point)

My upload queue for photos and new combinations is currently empty too, so any new stuff thats uploaded can be put on quickly - new combos are automatically recognised by the calculator now so theres no need to wait for updates to be written

Old 04-20-2016, 11:53 PM   #7
BeauBoi
Although it is impossible to find here in the U.S., Micropave is a scale mutation that has been proven in Europe. i dearly wish it would become available here in the U.S., but (from what I have been told) the persons who received the 3 microwave corns that the originator sold to U.S. Hobbists were never admitted to the U.S. gene pool...
~Beau

Old 04-20-2016, 11:55 PM   #8
BeauBoi
*I had intended to thank you for adding Micropave to the calculator, but got caught up in my disappointment of not owning one! Sry! Lol
~Beau

Old 04-21-2016, 01:22 AM   #9
Shiari
Soooo... I think I might kinda have 'broken' the calculator. With any luck, in 3 years I'll be producing animals that are 100% het for 8 different genes. I plugged those genes into the calculator and it's giving me the same 'odds' for 5 gene animals as 7 gene ones, and man that list is waaaaaaaaaay too long.

Old 04-21-2016, 11:37 AM   #10
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeji View Post
The layout I agree could do with more tweaking, unfortunately some scrolling will be inevitable due to the increased number of loci that needs listing, and also the layout has to collapse into a single column for mobile screens.
Ew, designing for mobile peasants. :P Hah! Well it does look a lot better on mobile, but the "Calculate" button being at the top only is a little clunky. You could just add one to the bottom as well and it would probably help a lot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google