CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Cost of Frozen Pinks

Old 10-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
Dazzles
Cost of Frozen Pinks

Hi y'all!

Just wanting to get a cost for frozen pinks in your area. I know online I've seen them as low as 30 cents each -- but shipping brings that cost up dramatically!

I went to a local pet store and they charge $2.50 each. I wanted to have at least 5 or 6 in the freezer before I got my snake, so I paid what they asked. I want to stock up before I run out and I'm wanting to see if someone has an online source they recommend, or if the local price I am paying is what to expect from pet stores and to just get it locally.

I only have the one snake, and I don't have a deep freezer, just a very small apartment freezer so ordering hundreds in bulk isn't an option.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
daddio207
$2.50 is a bit steep even for a local purchase. I buy bulk but recently ran out so I needed a couple dozen just to feed my hatchlings till I sell them at the Expo. The local New England chain pet store sells individual pinkies for $1.69 with a price break for 10 of I recall about 20 cents each and even deeper discounts all the way down to $1.19 for higher quantities.

If you bought 50 pinkies @ $15.00 and paid the $29 flat rate shipping at Big Cheese Rodents your per pinky cost would be only 88 cents. You would use them all.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
Dazzles
Oh thank you! I'll check them out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Old 10-02-2016, 05:41 PM   #4
texsnake
Expos sell F/T for cheap. I bought a pack of 20 day old pinkies for $9 at the most recent expo in San Antonio last month. There's another expo coming in November so if you can go it's a good way to stock up without paying for shipping. Just bring a small ice chest with you to store them on the drive back.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #5
Nanci
I wonder if you could do a road trip to Big Cheese to save on shipping costs. Many suppliers will let you pick up, if you're local.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #6
Nanci
(I realize Big Cheese isn't exactly in Austin, but I drive 150 miles RT to get my mice, and it's totally worth it.)

Old 10-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
Nanci
(Plus Big Cheese has REALLY nice mice!)

Old 10-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
Dazzles
A road trip to Dallas would be 6-8 hours of driving for us, if not more - my 2 year old gets car sick. At 88 cents per mice after shipping, that is cheaper than the other pet store I just called (They do $1.29 per). I'll buy locally and if we go to DFW area for Thanksgiving I'll do a local buy there.

I am just glad the other store sells them for less than half. I did not want to go back to the first pet store, I didn't like it in there at all.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #9
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
(I realize Big Cheese isn't exactly in Austin, but I drive 150 miles RT to get my mice, and it's totally worth it.)
Yes, but I'm sure you must pick up a relatively hefty supply, no? I can't imagine driving that far for anything less than 1000 rodents! After one hour in a vehicle, I feel like getting out & running (partially a result of living in a city where it sometimes takes upwards of an hour & a half to travel 18 miles, from where I live in Brooklyn to certain parts of the Bronx!)! For MY time, I'd much rather pay for shipping!

Just sayin'.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:25 PM   #10
Chip
I have a retail pet supply shop and sell pinks 10 for $5. I'd think there should be an independant shop that sells them cheaper than $2.50 each. Box stores typically buy those frozen packs of a few mice in a clamshell package, which are pricey. Another thought would be to look for a local herp club. They often have members doing group buys. As said, as long as you didn't get more than the snake would eat before needing to be moved up to a larger prey item, you'll probably still come out cheaper than Petsmart mice buying online.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google