CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Yellow Okeetee?

Old 11-16-2004, 05:07 AM   #31
herpster
Iv'e not had much dealings with rat snakes up until a few weeks ago, when I took a rescue, I didnt know what he was at the time, and a few people where doing research on what type of snake he was for me, then I found out he was a albino black rat, i knew he was to big to be a corn snake and his head was way to big and different, he a gorgeous big guy, very docile and now he is part of my growing collection of reptiles, I also took a corn snake that was housed with him and we are still trying to find out what phase she is, I have never seen a phase like this one, a lot say normal corn but shes just too pink looking, some say amel, I havent seen an adult amel yet, I have a juvi amel so maybe when he gets bigger I can compare them.

sorry i forgot to add a pic of my unknown corn phase, she has lumps at the bottom near her vent, at the time i thought she was egg bound due to her being housed with the rat snake and her not being able to pass the eggs, but the vet said they where fatty tumours, and are now a lot smaller, heres a picture of her.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:56 AM   #32
mbdorfer
Looks like Hypo or maybe Amelanistic Miami. What color are her eyes?

Old 11-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #33
herpster
her eyes are red i think, not sure, shes hiding at the moment as she is ready to shed, i will have a look when she has shed. i'm pretty certain they are red tho.

Old 11-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #34
mbdorfer
If they are red, then I would say Amel. Regardless, she is a real "looker".
Good luck with her

Old 11-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #35
ecreipeoj
She is a very classic looking amel.

Old 11-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #36
E. g. guttata
It looks a lot like a hypo I just recently came across. Of course, my hypo is a creamsicle that has it's own mystery.

Old 11-16-2004, 10:12 PM   #37
BlueKing
Thanks Joe. . . for schooling me!!! (sure wish I could post a pic though!)

I will breed her to very red looking WC male that I found not too far away from her (maybe this will help intensify the yellow in the F2/F3 generations?)
If I can double clutch her (she's getting nice n' thick from eating so good)then I would like the next breeding with a nice caramel corn - maybe one of yours?
Your thoughts?

I took a pic of her earlier but can't get the "manage attachments" button to do anything (I tried and tried)? Any way I can post a pic on here? It worked the other day, but only that day! What's up with that - HELP??? Thanks!!!

Zee

I am an expert on everything, but I know so little and have so much to learn! - Carsten Zoldy -

Old 11-16-2004, 11:09 PM   #38
Serpwidgets
I think a good cross would be something with as many mutant genes in it as possible. As Joe said, a butter motley (or an amel motley het caramel) would be a way to test it against the known caramel gene and also outcross it to several different types of morphs all at the same time.

I still think caramel is a possibility. It appears that many (or most?) caramels come from stock that look like miami corns. What would a caramel look like if you kept crossing the gene into Okeetee-looking snakes?

It has a very "caramel" feel to it, from here anyway, and/or a hypermelanistic look for some reason. Maybe it's the picture, but the saddles look more orangey than yellow to me. My "bloodred" has a similar look to her, same ground color, and her saddles are on the orange end of the spectrum, only slightly more "red" than that one's.

Definitely continue to post pics. The more we see it in different pictures, the better an idea we can get of what it looks like. It will certainly be interesting to see what the F1s look like, as well as the F2s.

Whichever cross(es) you decide on, good luck, and here's to lots of eggs.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 PM   #39
ecreipeoj
Zee,
I use to think that I could switch males for the second clutch and he would be the father of the second clutch. This year I switched 4 males for the second clutch. The resulting offspring would have been obviously from the second father. For example, Snow Motley X Amel Motley het Snow for the first clutch would produce all Motleys. I switched to an Opal for the second clutch and should have gotten all amels het Opal, but I got all Motleys.

I did the same thing with my Crimsons. I bred them to a Hypo Lav male for the first clutch and produce all Crimsons het for Lavender. I switched males to a Striped Lav male and should have gotten all Normals het for Hypo Striped Lavender. I did this with two females. What did I get out of two clutches?. All Crimsons and one Amel. The first male I bred the females too, produced all of the second two clutches except for one Amel. The Striped Lav was het amel and I guess the Crimson was too.

My point is that you can not switch from the wild caught male to a Caramel carrier for the second clutch and produce Locality Corns that are het for “Golden” Okeetee for the first clutch and then test breed her to a Caramel carrier for the second clutch. In both cases, you will hopefully get all normals, but it would not prove a thing. Sperm retentions from the first male is a very real occurrence.

If it was me, I would decide which male that I wanted to bred the Golden Okeetee to the first year and try to double clutch her with the same male. The next year, I would switch males and either produce locality corns or test bred her to a Caramel which ever you did not do the first year.

It sounds like you want to bred her to the Orange wild caught male that you captured near by the first year. I would try to double clutch her to the same male and hopefully produce a lot of Normals that are carrying the Golden gene if it works out that way. If by some miracle he is het for Golden then you will produce 50% Goldens and 50% Normals het Golden.

This is why some people have stated that it is unfortunate that it is a female in this case. You can only really bred her to one male each year. If it was a male, the sky would be the limit.

I am into trying to produce new morphs so if I owned the Golden Okeetee, I would test breed her to a Caramel carrier the first year. Something like a Butter Motley. Hopefully, you would produce all Normals het for Golden Butter Motley. It takes two years to raise these babies up to breed them to one another and to mom. The second year, I would breed her to a locality Corn to create my locality line with her. The third year, I would breed her back to one of her sons from the Butter Motley X Golden breeding and breed several clutch mates together. If the Golden gene is simple recessive, you will produce 50% Goldens and 50% Normals out of the Het Golden Butter Motleys X Golden. When you breed the Het Golden Butter Motley X same you will have the opportunity to produce several new morphs if the Golden gene is a simple recessive gene like: Amel Goldens,( A Snow or Butter type snake, Motley Goldens, and the list goes on and on, to possibly a Golden Butter Motley. (Homo Golden/Amel/Caramel and Motley.

After the second year you would know if the Golden gene is simple recessive and reproducible. The third year you could either breed her to a Locality Male Het Golden and produce 50% Goldens and 50% Hets Golden that would be locality Corns, or start a new project with her, like Golden X Bloods, or Golden X Lavender, or just about anything else.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:52 PM   #40
ecreipeoj
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKing
I took a pic of her earlier but can't get the "manage attachments" button to do anything (I tried and tried)? Any way I can post a pic on here? It worked the other day, but only that day! What's up with that - HELP??? Thanks!!!Zee
I have had similar problems with my land line connection. If somebody post while I am trying to post it always messes me up. The only way for me to correct the problem is to exit out of the forum and then restart it.

Sometimes, the attachment page hangs up on me and I eventually get an error message, that says something like there is too much activity on the forum or something like that. Again, I have to exit out and then come back in and that usually that fixes the problem.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google