CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Amel x ??

Old 04-07-2002, 03:22 PM   #1
CornsnakeKeeper
Amel x ??

I have an amel that isn't knowlingly het. I;ve never tried breeding yet. Is there anything that he could be paired with that would give me snows and possibly anerys? If I breed him with a snow, then I will get all amels, correct? Is there anything that will give me snows and maybe anerys or a mixture of the thress in the first generation? Thanks!

Old 04-07-2002, 03:34 PM   #2
kenalotia
If your amel is also het for anerythrism, and you breed him with a snow (amel + anery), then you will get amels, anerys, and some snows. If you breed him with an anery that is het for amel, then you will get some normals, some amels, some anerys, and maybe a snow.

If he's not het for anery there's no way you're going to get snows or anerys from him. In that case, if you breed him with a snow, you'll just get amels, like you said. Of course, you won't know if he's het for anery until you try breeding him with an anery or a snow.

K

Old 04-07-2002, 03:53 PM   #3
CornsnakeKeeper
For a side question,

If I have a lavender and a snow het lavender, will I get all lavenders or is there a chance of normals or anything else?

Then if I were to breed the snow het lavender with my amel... I'd get all amels? Het for what?

How do you get the motley trait into a particular cultivar of corns?

Is it possible for a butter to be het anery or lavender?

Thanks to anyone who's brave enough to answer.

Old 04-07-2002, 10:36 PM   #4
jim
keeper,
snow het lavender X lavender = 50% lavenders het snow and 50% normals het for lavender and snow
snow het lav X amel = all amels het anery "a" and %50 possible het lav
someone was selling quadruple hets on kingsnake a month or so ago het for lavender, zigzag, and butter to answer the butter/lavender question.
hope this helps.... jim
check out serpwidgets site... very very good!!!!!

Old 04-08-2002, 11:06 AM   #5
Hurley
Quote:
Originally posted by kenalotia
If your amel is also het for anerythrism, and you breed him with a snow (amel + anery), then you will get amels, anerys, and some snows.
Just FYI, if your amel was het anery and you breed it to a snow, you won't get any anerys since both animals are homozygous for amelanism.

a = amel
b = anery
A and B = wild type

So amel het anery (aaBb) X snow (aabb) = 50% amels het anery (aaBb) and 50% snows (aabb)

Old 04-08-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
kenalotia
Oops. Just goes to show that I should always write it down, instead of doing it in my head, even when it seems relatively simple. Good thing someone caught the error.

K

Old 04-08-2002, 11:38 AM   #7
Hurley
Quote:
Originally posted by CornsnakeKeeper
I have an amel that isn't knowlingly het. I;ve never tried breeding yet. Is there anything that he could be paired with that would give me snows and possibly anerys? If I breed him with a snow, then I will get all amels, correct? Is there anything that will give me snows and maybe anerys or a mixture of the thress in the first generation? Thanks!
The only way to get anerys and snows in the first generation is if your amel is het for anery. Since this is a fairly common gene, it is not out of the realm of possibility that it IS het for anery, but you won't know until you test cross it to see if any anery mutants are produced.

If bred to a snow, the amel will throw all amels if it isn't het anery. It should throw 50% snows in this cross if it is het for anery.

Taking it a little further, if the amel is het anery and you want to get anerys and snows in the first generation, breed it to an anery het amel or to a double het normal. Either combo should get you amels, anerys, snows, and normals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google