CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Definitions?

Old 11-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
2i2_D3gr33s
Definitions?

I was wondering if somebody could explain in laymans terms the definitions of some of the following, and pics would be great as well.

1) Hypo. I know this has something to do with the borders, but how do you tell the difference for sure?

2) Het. Does this mean that the trait is there, but not visible....meaning that offspring would have a chance for the trait?

3) Anery. I have no clue, lol.

4) Motley. I believe this is where the back pattern is connected, leaving what looks like small circles on the back....Is this correct? Are there any other traits a motley has?

5) Ultramel. ??

6) Okeetee and Miami. I've seen some of these at the local pet shop, and while they looked different than the normals, I couldn't really put my finger on it.

Thanks for all the help guys.... I know I'm a friggen questionaire here.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
danvega
Here's answers to 1 & 2:
1. Hypo is short for hypomelanistic, which is a reduction in black pigment. As a result, saddles are much lighter, with little to no black borders. A hatchling hypo will 'shine' next to a normal hatchling. I purchased a hatchling in September (born in August), b/c they look very nice and for the fact that the hypo gene plays into making some very nice morphs.
2. Het is short for heterozygous. This means that a [snake] possesses a simple recessive trait, yet its appearance (phenotype) does not show the trait. Its genotype, for example would be Aa, yet would look just like a homozygous normal with a genotype of AA. There would be a 50% chance of a het snake to pass the trait to offsping. If the trait is simple recessive, the trait would have to be passed on to offspring by both parents, in order to show the trait.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #3
PtDnsr
Since 1 and 2 have been answered I'll just answer the rest of them (or at least try to make sense of it).

3) Anery. I have no clue, lol.
Anery is short for anerythristic or lacking red pigment. An Anery A (commonly just shortened to Anery) is lacking all red pigment. Charcoal can also be known as Anery B.

4) Motley. I believe this is where the back pattern is connected, leaving what looks like small circles on the back....Is this correct? Are there any other traits a motley has?
A pattern morph that is co-dominant (I think that's the right term) with Stripe.

5) Ultramel. ??
Ultrahypomelanism is a hypo-like gene at the same spot as the amelanistic (lacking black pigment) gene. I'm probably not the best at this one so I'll leave it at that.

6) Okeetee and Miami. I've seen some of these at the local pet shop, and while they looked different than the normals, I couldn't really put my finger on it.
Locality snakes. Okeetee or Okeetee phase snakes have bright, bold colors with thick black saddles. Miami or Miami phase snakes have a silver to tan background with redder saddles.

I hope I didn't confuse you to much...if I'm wrong on a point someone please jump in and correct me!

~Katie

Oh yeah...you can always visit www.cornguide.com and visit the genetics tutorial - it's awesome.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Hurley
Keep in mind that "het" doesn't specify if the animal expresses the gene or not. All it tells you is that the animal has 2 unalike genes at the space on the chromosome you are worried about. In corns, yes, many times this means the animal is normal and is carrying some morph trait, but it's not always the case (ask the boa people, lol). Specifically in corns, this is not the case with, for example, ultramels (one ultra, one amel gene) and motley/stripes.

Het (or heterozygous) by definition says nothing of the relation of the genes, just that the pair is not alike. (When referring to an alike pair, the term is homozygous, sometimes shorteded to homo.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google