CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Blue Corn???

Old 11-28-2002, 04:46 PM   #31
Cas
I think one reason there aren't competitive shows yet is simply the amount of work and orginization that would be involved. Take cornsnakes for example.... (beyond say, if some small herp show decided to do a cornsnake show - I mean, who would care if your snake came from the Dirtsville county champion cornsnake, the show judge being farmer Bob who just thought it was 'purty').

1st, you need well defined standards of color, pattern, and type. As an example, a normal amel 'standard' might look something like this:

Color and Pattern: Saddles should be red, borders between saddles and ground color should be thick and white in coloration, ground color should be predominantly orange. Eye color red. Saddles should be evenly spaced and seperated from one another. Faults: Uneven or 'running together' markings. Disqualifiers: Black present on any part.

Then of course, there's orange amels, and sunglows, and reverse okeetees, which would presumably all be in classes of there own... as well as zigzag amels, motley amels, striped amels....

And this would have to be done for every single morph and variation (though pattern variation standards could be included within each main class).

There's also body type standards.... which would be harder to do, and you'd probably need at least 2 types - one for the 'cobbier' more compact corns, and one for the more slender corns.

Then, you need to get everyone to AGREE to the standards! If farmer Bob is the guy setting the standards, and thinks an amel should be bright yellow and green, well, no one will care. For cornsnakes, basically that would likely mean getting the "Big 3" (Rich, Don, and Kathy) to agree to a set of standards... because at least for north america, what they are doing pretty much seems to be what the cornsnake world in general is doing (beside which, they've originated many of the morphs).

Then, you need to get the standards out there and meaningful... one thing is, who's standards are they? In the dog world, there's the american kennel club... cornsnakes would need something similar (I'd imagine though, that it could go north america wide). So there's all the fun of organizing a cornsnake club, and getting people to join (if Farmer Bob makes a corns'r'us club, will anyone care? probably not)... which would again need some of the big name people as members (at least) to get any sort of respect or presence. THEN, you get to organize shows, and find someone qualified to judge! Who would be a logical choice? Well, Rich or Kathy or Don... who are all very busy people, and, what if they wanted to show too? They couldn't judge then.
And also, you have to keep records and register peoples snakes... there's an organizational nightmare!

Beyond all that, imagine how the world of corns would change - prices would be dependent on the ancestry of an animal (normal, het amel, offspring of 2 time Corn Club of North America grand champion "Princess", $300) as well as the morph. Genetics would be easier to trace simply because of better record keeping among all registered animals. There would be more breeding for body type, and there could be some detrimental breeding eventually as well (peke faced persians come to mind in the cat world). Etc. Etc.

I definitely think it would be interesting... I'd really like to see it happen... but I think it's a long time off. Really, the first step would be someone creating some good, well defined standards that most people could agree on, and that could eventually be the basis for shows and an official organization. Even an unofficial club based around some standards would be a good start... but someone would have to do it, and the "big, important" people would have to take an interest.

My ramble for the month...
Dawn

Old 12-08-2002, 08:33 AM   #32
Rhiannon
Squid - Cool snake, but it looks like the colour has been changed by the computer, cause it's too wierd too be real. Anyway it's purple not blue!

Old 12-08-2002, 09:08 AM   #33
pipatic
looks good thou

Old 12-08-2002, 11:54 AM   #34
Squid
Blue

Since you say this is computer generated.....what should the asking price for it be if it was not?

Old 12-08-2002, 04:52 PM   #35
Cas
Pretty good edit... don't you just wish they came in that color?
Nice anery btw...

Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #36
WiccanPrincesa
Wink

I have heard of blue corn snakes before. They are a called blue motleys. Tobin Herpatology is one website that I know of that is working on breeding these new color morphs. They aren't really blue in color. More of less greyish with a slight blue hint. I am actually currently trying to get a hold of a few of these to see if I can breed them with enhanced coloring that would actually make them more of a blue color. I'm still working on figuring out the genetics to make this possible. Difficult thing is to figure out genetics of animals that you do not yet have possession of. You know what I mean? ^.~ I've also heard that the tint of blue coloring comes from an unknown gene, which you cannot achieve by breeding two snakes together. So I'm going to have to be a scientist here and determine what causes this coloring, how to enhance it, and how to ensure this color can be bred into the existing blood lines of corns available. Lots and lots of work ahead! =)

Old 02-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #37
breakneck
Blue is supposedly the rarest color in animals in nature so this would be a nice accomplishment if a true blue was created.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #38
Susan
WOW! This has to be the oldest thread resurrected yet to date! 7 years must be a record!

The blue motleys are now found under the name of dilute anery motley. The dilute gene is a simple recessive and probably works by preventing the dark pigment from going to the surface of the skin. When a dilute snake sheds, the skin is devoid of pigment.

Here are some of my dilute anery motleys and a dilute anery stripe:

Old 02-13-2009, 06:51 AM   #39
Pal-O-Mine
This is something I've been curious about for quite some time.

Are there BLUE snakes???? Not just corn snakes but are there ANY breeds of snakes that are a true blue???

( I know about the indigo. I never seen one in the flesh but so far I believe they are black PRETENDING to be blue! )

i'm just asking because i'm a girl that has an odd love affair with the color blue esp. royal blue. Wanna hear me scream? Put me in PINK!

Devon

Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 AM   #40
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal-O-Mine View Post
This is something I've been curious about for quite some time.

Are there BLUE snakes???? Not just corn snakes but are there ANY breeds of snakes that are a true blue???

( I know about the indigo. I never seen one in the flesh but so far I believe they are black PRETENDING to be blue! )

i'm just asking because i'm a girl that has an odd love affair with the color blue esp. royal blue. Wanna hear me scream? Put me in PINK!

Devon
You need to read this thread:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79072

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google