CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can corns eat hamsters?

Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Almase
Can corns eat hamsters?

Can cornsakes eat dwarf hamsters? I dont wanna sound cruel, but I have a couple dwarves that I have had for awhile. I think its time they moved on. If the corn cant eat them I'll just get rid of them some other way.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Tula_Montage
Sure they can eat them. Its not like a corn in the wild would think - "Hang on, your a dwarf hamster... your not a squeeky clean white moose so I can't eat you"

Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Dave123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almase
I dont wanna sound cruel,

Whats you definition of cruel?

But, seriously I think you should give them away if you don't want them. Yes the snake might eat them but hampsters have sharp teeth and claws and you don't want to hurt the snake. Thats also a mean thing to do, IMO.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #4
Almase
lol Montage

Well. My definition of cruel doesnt include feeding a hamster to a snake however, I've been to many animal forums and it seems like PETA runs them all. Everything you do is cruel to them. "Oh! Dont feed the hamster to a snake, the hamster has feelings ect ect ect" But anywho, I have no problem feeding the snake any kind of animal as long as its not something that can damage them or their digestive system somehow. Hell, I go coon huntin and if coon meat is ok, I'll see if I can heat some up a little and try to get it to eat it. haha.....Dwarfs are small. I think they are about the size of a mouse, they are just fatter and fluffier than a mouse, so I dont think it could hurt the snake anymore than a mouse can. I may bring em to a petstore if I can get enough money out of them to buy a feeder or two. But if not then I got food for two weeks.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #5
SkyChimp
You would feed pets to your snake? I'm sure some kid would take them.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Tula_Montage
FYI Many of us here think PETA are wack - And thats being nice about it.

Feed the hamsters. I would. BUT I would freeze them for at least 24 hours to make sure any bacteria was killed off before feeding to your corn.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Almase
lol....I can say some stuff about PETA too. Like I said, I hunt coons lol so PETA and us hunters dont exactly get along either.

Thats an idea to freeze them. However I heard before that freezing doesnt really kill the bacteria, it just stops it from growing more. Im not a scientist, so I do not know personally. Its better safe than sorry however.

Yes Skychimp, some kid would take them. But I dont know any kids and im not attached to the hamsters at all lol. Again, I dont wanna sound cruel to any of you. But when it comes to animals, they have a price limit. For example, I dont wanna waste gas money to bring a hamster to a petshop when I can feed it to my snake. If my cat gets sick then it better heal itself or its gonna die, cause I wont spend money on a free animal. The snake however cost about $80ish, so if something happens it gets a trip to the vet. But I would say anything under about $20 doesnt get any special treatment.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #8
Dave123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almase
. For example, I dont wanna waste gas money to bring a hamster to a petshop when I can feed it to my snake. If my cat gets sick then it better heal itself or its gonna die, cause I wont spend money on a free animal. The snake however cost about $80ish, so if something happens it gets a trip to the vet. But I would say anything under about $20 doesnt get any special treatment.
Quote of the month.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:31 PM   #9
Almase
LOL....I usually get in trouble on forums because I say things like. But I was raised the old fashioned way. You dont take something that you got for free to the vet to spend $300. It just doesnt make sense at all. Now like I said, if its my snake it'll goto the vet. I spent alot of money on it all together and I dont want it to die....Some people are just too emotional when it comes to animals...No offense.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
tyflier
Hamsters are rodents. Cornsnakes live on rodents primarily in the wild. Feed your snake . I would, however, recommend freezing them first...just to be safe...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google