CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Should I switch to rats?

Old 06-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
jimmythetiger
Either way. I'm GOING to breed the food nevertheless. I'm not asking for alternatives, I just want to know if rats are better mothers. Basically.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
starsevol
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythetiger View Post
Either way. I'm GOING to breed the food nevertheless. I'm not asking for alternatives, I just want to know if rats are better mothers. Basically.
Rats are great mothers. They are also intelligent social animals that mourn the death of a cage mate. They are also not the best food, size wise and fat-wise for a cornsnake....

Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #13
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsevol View Post

Everyone should just do as I do,

Hey, that's MY line in her household!!!

Old 06-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
jimmythetiger
Thank you for the straight answer. I will not switch to rats.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #15
Lennycorn
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythetiger View Post
Thank you for the straight answer. I will not switch to rats.
Oh. that's starsevol for sure!!!
You might regret it latter tho.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #16
Slipmattic
If you have an adult corn... maybe getting a pair of rats would not be bad at all. They can eat a crawler-weaned rat relatively easy. Rats will eat eachother, their young, and anything else that they can put in their belly. Mice are just more prone to cannibalism, than rats are. What are you feeding the mice as food? is their plenty of water in the enclosure? is it hot where their being kept? these are not solutions to end it completley, but hopefully will help. they need proper nutrition just like anything else.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:16 PM   #17
wade
I have raised mice and rats for many years. Tens of thousands of the little suckers. All the bad things you mentioned can happen but if they happen consistently then I think the problem is with the keeper and not the kept. I would predict you will have similar problems with rats, hamsters, gerbils or ASF.

Take a look at your set up. Take a look at the feed you use. Take a look at how they are housed or handled. Take a look at you. Read a book. Look in a lot of directions before you blame one of the most prolific animals on earth.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google