CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Can snakes be fed a vegan diet?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 PM   #91
Camby
I have been really trying to limit my posting, but I couldn't help it this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [starla] View Post
My dog however is healthy on the raw meat. The roadkill is picked up and frozen asap, it is not sitting around for days festering first .
First, I am just really curious, do you pick out the bits of gravel and other forms of debris or is that just part of the diet? Don't get me wrong, I have fed deer that I struck with a vehicle or occasional bullet or arrow, but they were semi processed prior to use.

Secondly, what happens when the supply begins to run low, do you ride around looking for for dead animals and if there is none to be soon, you make an "exception" to run the little racoon down as it tries to cross the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [starla] View Post
I've decided I want to look into the carbon dioxide method for killing and raising my own feeders. That is the closest way I can ensure the mice are happy.
Did you seriously state "ensure the mice are HAPPY? I am not "The Rodent Whisperer but I am near certain that the mice are not happy about dying no matter how glorious or inglorious the cause.

Just some observations.

dc

Old 01-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #92
Emily1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camby View Post
Secondly, what happens when the supply begins to run low, do you ride around looking for for dead animals and if there is none to be soon, you make an "exception" to run the little racoon down as it tries to cross the road?
LMAO... this gave me quite the image....

Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 PM   #93
Shiari
For that matter.... An animal that is ill/diseased is going to be far more likely to get hit by a car. Not something I'd want to feed to my dog.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:02 AM   #94
wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
For that matter.... An animal that is ill/diseased is going to be far more likely to get hit by a car. Not something I'd want to feed to my dog.
Devil's advocate here, but don't most predators prey on the weak and old before going for animals in their prime?

There are some parts of this country where you see fresh roadkill almost everyday.

Maybe the OP lives in such an area?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 AM   #95
ceduke
Eh, I've fed my dog animals that my friends' cats have killed. He's fine.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 AM   #96
ComoxCorn
I'm naming all my mice Vegan as of today. That way I can prove all of you wrong that a snake can survive on a Vegan diet. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to load up the pinky pump with some more cauliflower.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #97
Shiari
It depends. Trans larva migrans is no fun to anyone, for example. And of course, even if the dog is vaccinated, I'd be leery of it being able to eat anything that could be carrying rabies.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #98
wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiari View Post
It depends. Trans larva migrans is no fun to anyone, for example. And of course, even if the dog is vaccinated, I'd be leery of it being able to eat anything that could be carrying rabies.
I'm pretty sure you don't get rabies by eating roadkill.

Isn't Zombification what you get by eating the dead? Or is that when the dead eat you? Both?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #99
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilomn View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't get rabies by eating roadkill.

Isn't Zombification what you get by eating the dead? Or is that when the dead eat you? Both?
I'm pretty sure zombies don't exist. Ironically, you apparently can get rabies from a dead animal, if you eat it's brain matter. How many dogs pick around the brain? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2656546/

EDIT: Since I know you're going to come back with this: http://neurophilosophy.wordpress.com...e-puffer-fish/ allow me to clarify that I mean Romero-esque zombies. The fictional, movie ones.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 AM   #100
wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
I'm pretty sure zombies don't exist. Ironically, you apparently can get rabies from a dead animal, if you eat it's brain matter. How many dogs pick around the brain? http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2656546/

EDIT: Since I know you're going to come back with this: http://neurophilosophy.wordpress.com...e-puffer-fish/ allow me to clarify that I mean Romero-esque zombies. The fictional, movie ones.
Indeed. Exactly what I would have done. Precisely. Nothing else could possibly have entered that small hiding place in which resides what passes for my noodle OTHER than what you have taken, kindly too might I add, into consideration.

Nope. Nothing else. Not a darn tootin' thing.

Thank you. From the deepest darkest depths of my peanutbutter filled heart, I extend my gratitude to you for sparing me the need to make myself, yet again, a fool, a pawn, a cast away crackerjack toy, subject to your mastery of the written word.

Of course what you know about what I would do would just about half way fill a small thimble, but hey, for you, that's a lot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google