CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

BUF gene

Old 02-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
Teddy Roosevelt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
There is not much in the 2010 morph guide about it...but it is listed as a 'confirmed' morph, rather than a "coming attraction". One key note though is that it is listed as a dominant morph, rather than a recessive...'buf' is dominant to wildtype. (bb=wildtype normal, Bb=buf, BB=buf)

It was discussed on "the other" forum, I guess that is where more of the info is. I don't know if I'm convinced, I guess someday, when I feel up to it, I will have to find the info again. By my biggest complaint though is the word "buf" in general. I don't know why, but I find it highly annoying. What is buf? The buffalo-niagara airport code. Why not buff, though even that is kind of annoying. Buf makes me think of the bufo genus of toads. Another big annoyance with the word "buf" is you can't even use the forum search function for it, because it is only 3 letters.
Yeah, I was thinking that myself. Even buff makes me think of the phrase "in the buff"... not something normally supposed to spring to mind when talking about corn snake morphs, I think. What about camel? Still produces images of a brown color and plays off it's caramel lookalike status.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
mvervest
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoologyGirl View Post
Another big annoyance with the word "buf" is you can't even use the forum search function for it, because it is only 3 letters.
Try to search at "Buff and Orange" , I think that was a thread .

Old 02-23-2010, 06:33 PM   #13
vetusvates
.........Whatever. I agree with Heather.

It's like grammar and punctuation, IMHO. In its effect on me.

"Buff" is a word, a color. ("Buf" is not.)

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And the color "buff" is used frequently in even the oldest 'Peterson Field Guide Series', to describe colors in animals.
http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/peterson/

Old 02-23-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
Drizzt80
From what I've seen discussed, and I'm by no means a genetic """expert""", the gene has never been conclusively tested to rule out an effect from Caramel. There's plenty of subjective evidence that slagenbroad shared, but where's the buf vs Caramel conclusive pairing?? Haven't seen it.

Where's the buf animal proven NOT het Caramel crossed with a pure Normal and buf recovered?? That's """confirmed""".

D80

Old 02-23-2010, 07:07 PM   #15
Nanci
Do you think we just never got all the information?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Do you think we just never got all the information?
I don't know the answer to that Nanci. What I do know is that slangenbroad was asked several times, from the beginning, to do conclusive tests to rule out Caramel. Nothing he ever presented showed that. That's not necessarily confirmed in my book.

buf may very well be a new gene, I've never necessarily said it wasn't, but what I have asked to see is removal of the Caramel influence? Again, that hasn't happened that's ever been publicly shared and considering the time frame from the last time he shared information, I doubt it's been done so far.

It is what it is.
D80

Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Nanci
Don't you think Chuck would require some sort of documentation before publishing it? I would like to think so.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #18
TandJ
Quote:
buf may very well be a new gene, I've never necessarily said it wasn't, but what I have asked to see is removal of the Caramel influence? Again, that hasn't happened that's ever been publicly shared and considering the time frame from the last time he shared information, I doubt it's been done so far.

It is what it is.
I think Slagen got out of corns and sold them all off.. Where ever they went. We don't know, and unless someone actually has them, no one I can remember mentioned it here... I don't think anything was ever conclusively confirmed eithier way.. I can't see how it was determined to be some new gene, without much evidence to back it up...

I totally agree Brent.. It is what it is...

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Old 02-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #19
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Don't you think Chuck would require some sort of documentation before publishing it?
I'll decline the opportunity to answer that question as I'm sure I'll be accused of holding some sort of grudge, or chip on my shoulder, regarding mr. pritzel.

The facts regarding the buf gene, that I have read, include no evidence that excludes the Caramel gene. And I have given a more than honest effort in trying to wrap my head around 'buf'.

D80

Old 02-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #20
TandJ
Quote:
I'll decline the opportunity to answer that question as I'm sure I'll be accused of holding some sort of grudge, or chip on my shoulder, regarding mr. pritzel.
Your not the only one Brother.. Believe me.. *LOL*

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
buf