CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Feeding question... how much to buy.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Spirit
Feeding question... how much to buy.

What's the average number of mice one snake will eat before upping to the next size? So far, I've been buying them 10 at a time. First was 10 pinks, then another 10 pinks (fed 2-3/feeding), then 10 fuzzies. He has 4 left.

Max (since I brought him home on Sept 30) was eating on average 2 pinks every 5 days for about 1.5 months, and has now eaten 1 fuzzy every 5 days (for 25 days). I finally (I think) found a local breeder (mice) and so I will be buying a handful of each, but I don't know how many to buy. It's a one hour drive, but I did the math and on 50 hoppers, I'll be saving myself $130.

He has 4 fuzzies left now, so when those 4 are done (giving him a total of 10 feedings at 1 fuzzy/feeding) I'm not sure if it's time to up to hoppers, or start with 2 fuzzies per meal for an additional month (estimated 6 feedings).

So if I were to buy say 20 hoppers, and 30 juvies... Hmmm... Not sure how to ask this question so maybe this is a better way... Do they eat the same size food for longer periods of time? In other words how many of each should I buy? Is 30 juvies too much or will I be left with a bunch of leftovers (and forced to go back for small adults)?

Once I switch to hoppers, it's 1-2 every 7 days, right? Or should I stick with 5?

PS. I put this in basic care because it's not a health or feeding related "problem"... hope this isn't in the wrong forum.

Old 12-21-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
WhiteLips
Gosh Spirit it's a math problem
I buy bulk frozen pinkies/fuzzies & mice my rule of thumb is to move them up to the next size after they eat 2-3 of one size (keeping in mind the 1 1/2 of the girth rule & the fact corn snakes can stretch a bit more than some other snakes)
Now... as far as how many to buy- since they are frozen and presumably, the right size, you just feed him a size until you run out, then buy the next size up- so you shouldn't have any waste. Keeping in mind it is better to give two smaller items than one larger (harder to digest) item. Also, if properly stored you could have them in the freezer for 6-8 months and they would be OK.
You could purchase the number which saves you the most in $ and convenience-
I feed the adults every 5-7 days the babies every 5 days
Well I hope that helps...

Old 12-21-2004, 09:34 PM   #3
Spirit
Well Hurley mentioned in the chat room earlier that roughly 6-12 feedings of the same size mouse is about average before upping to the next size (and of course a couple 2 in 1 feeds beforehand). 6 seems like very little to me, but 12 sounds about right. I'll probably buy15-20 hoppers and maybe 20 juvies... go from there. I'd like to get a total of 51 (51 or more gives me an additional 10% off) but I'll work it out. (And yes, they're all vacuum sealed)

I've basically come to the conclusion that after 15 feedings (for example) of fuzzies, he's for sure ready for hoppers. 15 is probably more than I need, but better safe than sorry.

It's the money. $2.99x51... vs $0.66x51 (minus tax). I mean there's just no decision to be made there, really. The math wins.

As for the 5-7 day feeds... Should I start 7 day feeds on hoppers or juvies? Hmmm...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google