CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

feeding question.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
celbii
feeding question.

when you are feeding two pinkies, do you give him one rgiht after the other or wait, and when im feeding him in a sepreate container how long should i wait to put him back in his home?

Old 02-06-2005, 12:53 PM   #2
gatorlink
u can put the 2 pimks in with him in a deli cup. i leave my snakes for 45 mins to an hour b4 returning them

Old 02-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
celbii
ok thanks, should i put 1 hide in their food eatiery

Old 02-06-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
MegF.
I don't put a hide in the seperate feeder box, and when I feed multiple feed items, I feed one, and then the next when they're done with the first. I've found when I put more than one in with some of them, they either get confused as to which to get to first, or they're intimidated by the group of mice laying there.

Old 02-07-2005, 12:07 AM   #5
Rosebear
Legoless doesn't seem to care. He's a little chow-hound. Whichever strikes his fancy first is the one he scarfs and then the next... The little piglet ate this afternoon and is "hunting" in his viv now...

Old 02-07-2005, 12:29 AM   #6
Spirit
I did (and still do) feed my snake in a large-ish tupperware container (maybe 3 gallons) with no lid. I just placed the mouse in the corner nearest to his face and he'd always go right for it.

When I fed 2 pinks per feeding, I offered the 2nd pink when the first was about 3/4 down. As soon as he'd finish with the first, he'd go straight for the second. As soon as that second one hit his belly, I'd put him back in the viv.

Meg: The visual of a cornsnake getting confused as to which meal to eat gave me a giggle.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:09 AM   #7
tigger31972
How much is too much food?

OK I posted a few weeks ago and we went to the 2 pinkie diet. Charlie did that for 2 feedings and he looked like he wanted more so the 3rd feeding we did 3 pinkies. Today we went to the pet store and got him the fuzzies they looked huge but he ate one no problem other than he attacked it and held onto it like it was going to get away if he didnt... was kind of funny actually, anyway he looked like he was looking for another mouse so we gave him a pinkie right after that fuzzie... wow what a pig he is... anyway he still looked like he was looking for more but we did not give him any because gee how much can he eat, and we wanted to make sure the fuzzie stayed down. Charlie is about 24 inches long and the fuzzie made a good size lump but looking at the pictures others have posted the lump was ok. My question is.. are snakes like dogs and just eat beacuse there is food there or do they actually know when they have had enough. When should we try feedinghim again he was eating 1-2 pinkies every 4-5 days but now with the bigger mice I am not sure if we should wait a week or see if he wants another fuzzie in 4-5 days.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #8
MegF.
Snakes are opportunistic feeders and will continue to eat as long as there is food available in most cases. Since in the wild it might be weeks before their next meal, they tend to eat whatever they find. I would stick to one fuzzy for a while. You don't want to overfeed and cause too rapid a growth (power feeding) or a regurge.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google