CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

coming back for regurges

Old 02-17-2005, 11:06 PM   #11
Skeet
He ate a head tonight. Should i wait 5 or 7 days untill the next head? This was his third head all a week apart.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:28 AM   #12
kathylove
Even though he has 5 hides to choose from, it is possible that he prefers one or two over the others and is choosing his favorite hide instead of the proper temps. By removing the other hides and giving him one long hide that spans the temps, his only choice will be where in that hide he chooses to go - warm or cool. Once he is feeding normally for a couple of months (and your house temps will be warmer anyway in a couple of months), you can go back to offering more decorative hides.

Once you decide to go back to whole pinks, be sure to make a few slices into the body to help digestion, at least for a month or two. I have gone to slicing all f/t items for all of my snakes now as they digest more quickly and fully that way.

Good luck!

Old 02-18-2005, 06:25 PM   #13
Skeet
thanks but that didn't answer any of my questions. my quesion is that he is really thin and i'm kind getting worried about it, he's got the will to live. he's eaten 3 heads each 7 days apart. is it a bad idea to offer him the next head in 5 days b/c i don't think he's getting any nourishment from the heads. whats the least amount of days that i can feed to fatten him up a bit, or any nutes i could add to his water?

Old 02-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
CAV
IMO, you need to offer whole pinkies. I personally believe the regurges were likely due to husbandry issues and not illness. At this point, a hatchling is not going to survive on that little amount of nurishment. Bite the bullet, show some tough love and feed the snake a whole pinkie. You need to cowboy up and feed the little guy otherwise the "cure" might be worse than the "illness".

Old 02-18-2005, 07:19 PM   #15
Skeet
do u mean force feeding

Old 02-18-2005, 07:42 PM   #16
kathylove
Maybe you can up the feedings to a head every 3 - 4 days and see if it works. If you decide to give a whole pinkie, either cut it in half or put lots of slices into it to make it easier to digest. If you go for the whole pink and he digests it - great! But if he regurges it, he will be worse off than he is right now. Nobody else is there to see him in person to evaluate him as far as his strength and weight, so it is something you have to decide. If it was mine, (if he looks like what I expect from your description) I would probably give a few more heads at 3 or 4 days apart, then go for a sliced newborn pink. I would also give him Nutri Bac and maybe even tube some canned cat food or meat baby food into him if he was really thin. But you will have to give it your best guess based on how he looks and how soon it looks like he digested the heads you gave him the last few times.

Hope it works out for you.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:50 PM   #17
Skeet
thanx for the help kathy. last night he ate a whole pinky. I made like 8-10 slices on the back and two down the sides. i hope he keeps it down. He was digesting those heads in 2 days, so I think he'll keep it down. I'm so relieved that he went right for it, he deffinatly my favorite.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #18
Alias47
I just had one of my newest hatchlings (and the smallest of the group) regurge about two weeks ago...

I waited 10 days...and gave her the smallest pink I could...I cut all my prey items,but this one I almost halved...I really opened that pink up...she took it and digested it fine...

Really makes a HUGE difference...

Makes me feel bad...if I had known to cut them last fall...I might have had a chance to save one of my other non-feeders...

Live and learn...

Old 02-22-2005, 12:38 PM   #19
howiet4702
I hear ya Derek. The problem feeder I had this year, I really butchered that f/t pinky up. But whatever works...

Old 02-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #20
Skeet
Just wanted to give an update. Skeet kept that pinky down, and ate a live pinky today. his belly was still alittle big but, it's been 6 days and he pooped twice. he still hasn't been anymore active, but he looks alot better. thanks guys for the advice and support.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google