CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Kinked Petco Hatchling

Old 09-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
Jessicat
Kinked Petco Hatchling

I was at Petco getting supplies for a Tarantula ( !!!). The Tarantulas are in the "reptile section", and I noticed that the corn that was being housed a few cages away looked kind of odd. It was very thin and seemed to be laying in an odd position. I picked it up and as soon as it started moving I noticed a kink approximately an inch down from its head. the head and inch of neck before the kink were held at an odd angle, the baby obviously couldn't stretch out straight.

The employee I was talking to told me that the baby would not eat for her. Is it possible for a baby to eat with a kink in its neck like that? She didn't really know much about feeding and asked me what to do. I recommended mice heads and she was quite appalled by the idea. She quickly asked, "Well, what if that doesn't work!". I pointed to the next tank over which housed a kingsnake. My roommates and I told the girl we'd check back later in the week to see how the hatchling was doing.

Do you think this hatchling is a lost cause? She had us move it to the back room with the "sick animals" (which she claimed were actually just over stock..) so it's not for sale anymore. I hope no one moved it back to the display tank. I'm not sure if I even should check back with them. I do care about that little snake though. I don't think it should be in the Petco employee's care, but what can I really do about that?

Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
Roy Munson
That sounds like a pretty severe kink. You should probably do what you can to forget about the poor thing, but if you can't, you should advise them to euthanize it. If they can't do it themselves, maybe you can convince them to give it to you, and you could do it. I have a "charity case" mildly kinked hatchling that I produced myself this year, but the two kinks are not visible, and don't affect the snake's posture at all (and he's a voracious feeder). I had a worse one that went to my MBK. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, Jessica.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:15 AM   #3
Mrs InsaneOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
That sounds like a pretty severe kink. You should probably do what you can to forget about the poor thing, but if you can't, you should advise them to euthanize it. If they can't do it themselves, maybe you can convince them to give it to you, and you could do it. I have a "charity case" mildly kinked hatchling that I produced myself this year, but the two kinks are not visible, and don't affect the snake's posture at all (and he's a voracious feeder). I had a worse one that went to my MBK. Good luck in whatever you decide to do, Jessica.
I agree with what Dean said. From the sounds of it, that little corn is having a difficult time. I have 2 kinked caramels that Tim and I have been raising and neither of them are as affected as that little ones sounds. The second one of ours nearly became kingsnake food itself, but because he eats, sheds, popps, and seems to move around on it's own we let him have a chance and do our best to help him live a healthy life.

I wouldn't stress too much and you've already helped the little thing by bringing it's problem to the attention of one of the store clerks - that is definately a good thing! Hope things turn out well for the little guy!

Jenn

Old 09-09-2006, 04:24 AM   #4
dionythicus
Make sure the manager has your name. My local store knows me and that I breed snakes. They were generous and kind enough to give me a cali king with a damaged face (half melted by a heat lamp) and I tried for three months to get it to eat on its own before euthanizing it. Sometimes the stores will work with you if they know you know what you're doing.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:48 AM   #5
Jessicat
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably go into Petco pretty soon to get some crickets. I'll probably try to check on the hatchling when I stop in. The chances of running into the same employee seems a bit low though. I'm not even really sure the manager was there when I was first in the store.
Although the employee said that the snake would not eat for her it COULD have been due to the amount of stress it was in. When I was taken to the back room the employee showed me the other corn snake hatchling they had. It was in almost worse shape and in that case it was DEFINITELY their fault.

If they're willing to let me take the snake and try to save it then I'm willing to take on the challenge. If they're going to stick behind their $60 price tag though then I guess I'll have to take your advice, Dean.

I honestly wonder if that poor little snake has ever eaten a meal at all. I'm not experienced with hatchlings that tiny and Petco probably doesn't have background on the animal, given that they didn't even know who their distributes were. That information would be pretty helpful though. =/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google