CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Starting to lose hope on hatchling

Old 10-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #21
Danko
my snake still has not ate. i just rubbed a pinky against a anole for the first time so I hope it works. wish me luck.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:43 PM   #22
MO, CORNFED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danko View Post
I got a new corn, my first one ever, about 2 weeks ago. I didn't realize it at first but the temps were wrong and it was wayyyy too hot at first. My corn wasn't eating so I figured that was the problem. Now he will continue to not eat so its been like 3 weeks overall.

I love the little guy and can tell he has now started a new hobby for me but if he dies I will be so upset. I've been trying all different things and now I don't know what to do next.

Anyone ever feel this way, especially with a hatchling?

How many weeks until this is really serious?
My new baby amel is 4 months old, and she was the runt of the litter, I haven't been able to feed her either, remember they can go awhile without eating, and even though it's scary cause they are small hopefully they come out of it.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #23
Danko
I've heard from a very knowledgable cornsnake breeder that after 5 weeks of a hatchling not eating your chances are slim that it will live.

Any thoughts on that?

Old 10-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #24
Rich in KY
Not necessarily true. There are many factors involved.

Have you tried scenting a pinky with chicken broth?

If not, get some broth, heat it to about 100*F. You can judge by trying to touch it. If it feels too hot, it is probably warm enough. Take a thawed pinky, put it in a container and pour the broth over it. Allow it to sit for several minutes. Take the pinky out of the container with the broth and put it in either a paper bag or a feeding tub. Next put your snake in with the pinky. Now place either the bag or tub into the viv. Make sure the lid is on the viv and cover it. Leave the snake in overnight with the pinky. Do not peek in to check. Do not touch it. Give the snake the privacy many need to feel secure to eat.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #25
Danko
i tried the paper bag trick (without the chicken broth) and when i opened the bag the next morning my snake was cornered up to one side looking at the pinky like he was scared of it. that was a live pinky though so maybe that will be the difference.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #26
Rich in KY
It doesn't have to be a paper bag. But you need to use something small enough that the snake will know the mouse is there. A lot of people use deli cups. Whatever you use make sure the pinky is warm when you put it in with the snake and give your snake privacy.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 PM   #27
Danko
dont get me wrong I believe that the chicken broth works but why the heck would they like that when other things don't work?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 AM   #28
tbtusk
hey, why do snakes like washed mice, rather than normal ones? they don't like the smell? Who knows why.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #29
officerhoffman
I tried the boiled pinky trick that someone posted, I put the pinky in boiling water for 30 Sec. let it cool a bit and then serve.. good luck I hope something works for you.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #30
diamondlil
Lil went through a stage of only eating her washed mouse after she'd pooped on it and I'd washed it again

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google