CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Anery question

Old 09-04-2022, 06:31 AM   #1
Sharonsnake
Anery question

Hi I’m still very new to corn snakes and have the opportunity to home a young black and white Anery (sorry if that means the same thing!) snake and just wondered if colour changes into adulthood?
Do snakes fade with age or maintain a colour vibrancy? I’ve never seen an adult corn snake so would love to see any of your pics - especially if black and white ones.
Thank you 😊

Old 09-04-2022, 09:43 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Yes, aneries almost always fade as they age. Adult aneries will usually be shades of gray, with some yellow along the neck. Some will look a bit more brown. Check out iansvivarium.com to look at some examples of aneries.

Old 09-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
Frank Pinello
Aneries (as with most all varieties) will lighten up a bit. And almost all start showing yellowing on the sides of the neck to about the first third of the lower sides of the body. The yellow more or less starts to show just before their first year.
Males aneries tend to lighten up more than females.
There colors are at their best at about 2-3 years of age then slowly darkens up again and loose contrast as they get older.
Of course nature always Has it’s exceptions.

Old 09-05-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
Sharonsnake
Wow. Thank you both for explaining. Fascinating. ��

Old 09-06-2022, 03:02 AM   #6
Sharonsnake
Thank you!

Old 09-06-2022, 07:09 PM   #7
Rich Z
Interestingly enough, the most stark black and white anerythristics I ever produced came out of my Anery Type A x Caramel project. My original goal had been to try to produce animals that would have black blotches on a completely yellow background. Seems like that would be a natural expectation, doesn't it? What I got was black on white, instead. No yellow whatsoever anywhere on the body. Murphy's Law struck again.

The real problem in dealing with that yellow coloration is that you have to grow up the babies in order to see if your plan's goal was successful or not. So it can become very time and resource intensive of any such project. You can't just hatch out the babies, look at them, and think "success" or "fail" right then and there. It may take a few years.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #8
SnakeSmithS
I too have dreamt of an all black and yellow corn! I think I'd have to name it after the Pittsburgh Steelers :-)

Old 10-25-2022, 06:11 PM   #9
bushsnake
Aneries can vary a lot. These all started off looking the same. A couple are wild caught and one is only one generation out of the wild so they are true representatives of the gene