CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Corn snake questions / what makes corn snakes good pets to you ?

Old 10-08-2022, 08:43 PM   #1
Judgmental shoelace
Corn snake questions / what makes corn snakes good pets to you ?

Hi I’ve come to ask people questions about corn snakes as pets I myself want one but have many questions that can’t be answered by google and I wish to know what makes corn snakes good pets to you ?

Please help me if you want to, it will help me decide weather to have a snake

1st can you cuddle them ? / do they sit still with you on the couch for hours on end ?

I like snakes as a pet because they suit my traveling life style well and are magnificent creatures

But I do wish to have a pet that can sit with me or hang out on my arm, would a snake be able to ride along on my daily adventures like going to a park or walking with friends ?

Do they modestly like you ?

Im sorry if these questions seem dumb to you

Old 10-08-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
Not dumb questions!

I like corn snakes because of their nice personalities, pretty colors, and ease of care.

Cuddling - not really. You can handle them and they'll slither around your hands and arms and try to find their way into your pockets or shirt. Most adults will be calmer and less active than babies, but corns are typically a fairly active species. They're engaging to handle, but they're not really the sort of snake where you can sit and watch a movie and expect them not to move.

If the weather is nice, yes, your snake can hang out with you on a walk. If you wear a hoodie with a front pocket, they can fit nicely in there and you can keep a hand on them to make sure they're not escaping.

Do they like you? You'll get different answers to this because there's no real way to tell how much emotional intelligence a snake has. I think no. I think they are already a docile species to begin with and they learn to tolerate you handling them. At most, they may learn that you're a safe person and may 'prefer' you over strangers for handling. Whenever I've seen this with my snakes, it's when a very inexperienced person is handling them and they seem uncomfortable.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:16 AM   #3
Caryl
Not dumb questions. Smart questions, actually. You're asking things you want to know before choosing to bring another living thing into your life. Very smart.

I love corn snakes for their beautiful colors and patterns and their personalities. They're quite beautiful, and I love just watching them in their vivs. Their relatively simple needs are a bonus. Pets are a big commitment, and it's nice that snakes are actually relatively inexpensive compared to a dog or cat (both of which I have & love, not dissing.).

I've enjoyed them as personal pets at home. I've also had the pleasure of sharing them with students as classroom pets. I've taken them to large- scale educational events as well. Most corns are pretty sociable. They all enjoy venturing outside, and I enjoy watching them explore the outdoors, always constantly supervised of course.

Mine are all handled regularly. Babies are very active and curious. They love to explore, and they move a lot. Adults are also curious, but they have their own personalities and some are more willing to chill and be fairly still after a few minutes. I've had several who were pretty willing to be calm in a lap or on shoulders for longer periods.

There was one guy who was a student's good luck charm. She always wanted him around her neck for chemistry tests. She said he knew all the answers since he never missed a class. I said he missed every lab and he'd better not tell her any answers anyway or he'd be rotated home, lol. My point is that the snake was willing to just be calm while she worked on her tests, perhaps an hour. I think he was a yearling at the time.

As for affection, hard to say. Your snakes will definitely come to know you. They'll at least appreciate you as a safe, warm "tree" who gives them a chance to explore.

That was long, but I hope it helps. Only you can decide if a corn snake is the right pet for you. I wish you luck.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 10-11-2022, 09:46 PM   #4
Judgmental shoelace
Hi thankyou so much for the info I’m sorry I dident get back quickly I forgot my password and was going crazy trying to remember XD thankyou

Right now I have 6 pet rats martie louie alfie figgie dewie amd Berrie I know it’s ironic that I’m talking about my rats ona snake group chat, I love to learn about different animals because I want to be a vet and because I LOVE ANIMALS I’m trying to decide between
Corn snake
Ferret
Hedgehog

I want to have a variety of animals through out my life
I sometimes need to leave a lot and I even might be gone for 1 month I’m in school for the entire day and come back at 5 what pet do you think is best for me ? I know this chat is only about snakes but if you want can you help me decide
( I’m planing to feed my snake if I get one, reptilinks

Old 10-15-2022, 04:45 PM   #5
schnekkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryl View Post
Not dumb questions.

There was one guy who was a student's good luck charm. She always wanted him around her neck for chemistry tests. She said he knew all the answers since he never missed a class. I said he missed every lab and he'd better not tell her any answers anyway or he'd be rotated home, lol.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk
I love this story so much, Caryl!

My snake is not at all affectionate. She is very smart, and loves to climb and explore, but she would not appreciate being a pocket pet. I let her be who she is and I try very hard to respect her boundaries on being handled, and I always keep in mind that a little stress can go a long way with a reptile.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google