CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Scabbing at the mouth

Old 10-15-2022, 05:27 PM   #1
Rigatoni
Scabbing at the mouth

My scaleless corn snake has been having scabbing at the mouth the past month and I don’t know what to do. Took him to the vet a couple months back and they prescribed medicine. He went off the medicine when the scabbing went away but now it’s back and he’s on the medicine again but scabbing is still there. What should I do?
(The black stuff in the mouth is the scabbing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-25-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
Caryl
Your poor baby, that looks uncomfortable. Mouth issues can be very serious in snakes. Stomatitis, or oral inflammation (sometimes called "mouth rot") can be fatal. An affected animal may stop eating or drinking, or fall to infection. I'm glad your baby's getting vet care.

I don't have firsthand experience with Scaleless corns but mouth issues are common. No one else is chiming in so I will try. Some more info will be helpful.

What kind of medicine is your vet prescribing? What does the vet say about the possible cause of this scabbing? Does s/he think there is infection causing the damage, or is it the other way around?

Have you changed anything about the snake's viv? Different dishes, hides, substrate? Does the snake behave any differently? Have you observed it rubbing at all? What do you feed, how often, and how's its feeding? What are the temps?

I hope that your snake has improved already. Healing is slow work for them, their metabolism is much slower than a mammal's.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google