CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Masque or super?

Old 04-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #1
67temp
Masque or super?

I'm not great with masque. Neither parent was really specifically labeled as masque.

Dame is a Miami het motley I suspect is a lower expression of masque.

Sire was sold to me as a honey bloodred poss het cinder and amel. I'm almost suspecting he is honey masque het cinder (proven) and diffused. I have a clutch mate of his that was labeled as "het bloodred".

Is this little one a high expression masque or low expression super masque?

I can get belly pics or ones of the parents if needed.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Old 04-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #2
bushsnake
I think the supers will have a plain belly but I'm not 100% sure on that. I don't mess with masque

Old 04-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
Shiari
Super masque will have only the barest hints of belly checkers.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #4
67temp
There are traces of checkers on the far edges of the belly. I've heard this is high expression of the masque split and that supers have the clear scales down the middle of the bare belly. Now I'm leaning towards the sire being a super.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:00 PM   #5
Frank Pinello
Looks like diffused w/o the masque gene. That was my thought before you posted the belly shot assuming the belly was plain. Now I’m more convinced.
Diffused with masque makes the diffused look more distinctive or more extreme.
That’s my opinion based on my Bloodred breedings I’ve done over many years.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #6
67temp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
Looks like diffused w/o the masque gene. That was my thought before you posted the belly shot assuming the belly was plain. Now I’m more convinced.
Diffused with masque makes the diffused look more distinctive or more extreme.
That’s my opinion based on my Bloodred breedings I’ve done over many years.
The dame isn't diffused or het for it that I know of plus the amount of lateral pattern doesn't seem to go with diffused.

Here is the sire and some of his belly. The thing that really confuses me is if he is also a super then shouldn't all of his babies have at least a spilt belly? I have some of his babies from 19&20 with full checkers.

Old 04-30-2021, 06:07 PM   #7
Frank Pinello
“That you know of” isn’t proven. I would test the dame next year with a diffused to see if you get about half diffused offspring to be sure. What do the other siblings look like?

The sire belly pattern does scream super masque more than diffused but they are really spread apart. I do have a orchid diffused and I don’t see that type of belly pattern. If he is super masque then yes all offspring would be het for masque with a phenotype of weekly masque look. However, at least my masque group the males seem to show much more masque traits than the females regardless of het or homo for it. And the masque seems to be very variable between individuals even within siblings with some showing more traits than others of the same sex.

Regarding the lateral pattern, I have had diffused corns with a
Lateral pattern that eventually blend into the red background color. I tend to whole sale them off as I’m trying to limit my diffused specimens the ones that are also super masque and Piedsideds.
It’s always a mystery which makes I fun. Enjoy!

Old 04-30-2021, 06:08 PM   #8
Frank Pinello
“That you know of” isn’t proven. I would test the dame next year with a diffused to see if you get about half diffused offspring to be sure. What do the other siblings look like?

The sire belly pattern does scream super masque more than diffused but they are really spread apart. I do have a orchid diffused and I don’t see that type of belly pattern. If he is super masque then yes all offspring would be het for masque with a phenotype of weekly masque look. However, at least my masque group the males seem to show much more masque traits than the females regardless of het or homo for it. And the masque seems to be very variable between individuals even within siblings with some showing more traits than others of the same sex.

Regarding the lateral pattern, I have had diffused corns with a
Lateral pattern that eventually blend into the red background color. I tend to whole sale them off as I’m trying to limit my diffused specimens the ones that are also super masque and Piedsideds.
It’s always a mystery which makes I fun. Enjoy!

Old 05-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
67temp
I will definitely be testing the dame and sire for diffused next year. I know he is het for it at least. The dame I know neither of her parents were visual diffused.

Here is the dame that I suspected was masque. This clutch was 50/50 for having plain belly or split checkers, no normal checkers.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #10
67temp
This is the belly of a female 2019 from the sire and a different dame. In theory she should have the masque split.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google