CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

2022 BrightHope pairings

Old 06-22-2022, 10:35 PM   #61
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
This is definitely the fun part of breeding corns ......pipping and hatching. The first of my nine clutches are due the second week of July and most of the rest the end of July.
It is indeed! I love seeing what everybody gets! Gotta say, Frank, Five clutches was all I planned (not counting Sceptre's doings), and that's plenty for me! I've had Stripes piled up like spaghetti from Baldr and Tulip. Got them all sorted and set up. Many of the babies from Artephius and Esperanza are just emerging or still pippies. They're on the to-do list tomorrow. So far, plenty of healthy beautiful babies! I'm thankful.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

Old 06-22-2022, 10:39 PM   #62
Caryl
It's been an odd year. I was going to just include Sceptre's adventures here, but in the interest of somebody who might be searching for info on retained sperm, I'm going to start a separate thread for the sixth (and unintentional) BrightHope clutch of 2022.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:46 PM   #63
Frank Pinello
What I have been doing over the last several years is holding back between 12 to 16 of my target (Improved and special project) hatchlings from my multiple clutches each year. I vet them out after one or two sheds and meals and then sell the rest off in bulk to local reptile stores. Along with a hand full older breeders and maybe one or two hold backs that I decide I may not need to make room for the new stock.
The hard part is parting ways with some really good High end adult breeders or one with super personalities.
I also give a few away sometimes to friends and family no charge. Don’t really make enough to cover the cost but I’m okay with that.
I Try to maintain +/- 50 corns. I find that I can keep good care of that many with my other life responsibilities.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #64
67temp
I love good clean stripes!

Old 06-27-2022, 04:05 PM   #65
Caryl
Figuring out what works for each of us is part of the challenge, isn't it? Not necessarily the easiest part, either. For me (and hubby Dan), when I decided a couple of years ago to work toward breeding again after working through the physical challenges of previous years, I had to decide which projects I really wanted pursue and what I hoped to accomplish. This meant planning for several generations, setting parameters for what I hoped to keep as well as what pickups I might want or need to make. It was (and is) a little boggling. The parameters aren't set in stone, but they do give me a framework. Keeps me from buying a "Stunning Whatever Morph" just because it's pretty, too. Would I like to have examples of every morph? Sure! But I've learned my limits the hard way. At the end of the day, I hope this discipline will result in many more productive years.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:23 PM   #66
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67temp View Post
I love good clean stripes!
Me too! I've loved Stripes since I got my first corn snake. Clean, distinct striping is special (at least, I think so) and this clutch really has it. It is Tulip's last clutch, as she's going into well-deserved retirement. It's Baldr's first. Dan wants to sell Baldr since he didn't prove het Amel. Given the quality of these babies, I'm still considering keeping him anyway.

I do also love good Cubes. The messy in-betweens can be cute but I don't produce them intentionally.

Looking forward to these babies' shedding.

Old 06-27-2022, 04:36 PM   #67
Caryl
My hope that Artephius was still fertile has definitely been fulfilled. He and Esperanza have 18 healthy babies. (Princess Irene's clutch by Artephius should hatch in about a week. ) All are Caramel, though there are two noticeably differing shades. Not totally sure what that's about. Maybe just individual variation, maybe something else? I know that @Rich Z had marked Esperanza as "odd amber." I've got notes from discussions with him about hatchlings who didn't look hypo but got brighter as they grew. I'll have to hang onto a few and find out, I suppose.

Of course they're all het Diffusion and Hypo, plus ph Amel and Motley or Stripe from Artephius. Lots of freckles and dots, as well as split belly checkers. I take it that Dad's not het Hypo, Mom's not het Diffusion. That's a bummer but I'm still happy to have these.

Old 06-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #68
Frank Pinello
Still good to get answers on possible hets even if it not what we’re hoping for. Helps with planning pairings, etc.
Congrats.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:30 PM   #69
Caryl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Pinello View Post
Still good to get answers on possible hets even if it not what we’re hoping for. Helps with planning pairings, etc.
Oh, definitely! Like most folks I'm usually planning at least two generations down the road. Knowing hets is very valuable information. So are things like feeding behavior and disposition, even parents' temperaments.I like to get and give as much information as possible.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:41 PM   #70
Caryl
The season's third clutch is pipping this evening. It's Day 63 for Princess Irene's first clutch, sired by Artephius. When I checked this morning, none of the eggs had dented but I did catch a whiff of Eau de Pipping Soon. (Always makes me happy, though I won't be saving any behind my ears! Lol) I intended to check another clutch and was quite surprised to see a Caramel head and another promptly retracted nose. Hooray for babies!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google