CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Yearling has not shed in 3 1/2 months?

Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
nighthob
Question Yearling has not shed in 3 1/2 months?

Hello,
If anyone has any ideas, any would be great! Veterans or any advise helps! I have had my amelanistic corn for 3 1/2 months. ( My first snake) I would like to think I am doing everything right, but my snake has not shed. He is still a yearling. He is in a 15 Gallon tank. It is 75F on his cool side, and 85F on his hot side. He also has an "underneath the tank warmer" stuck to the bottom of his warm side. He has a nice size water bowl, reptile vines to play in (which he loves), and a very nice arch shaped log/stick, and a fake looking log hide. I am using ZooMed Aspen snake bedding. The snake has fun(looks happy). He is only really active at night, or when i need to feed him. Once I see that he is hungry I feed him a pinky. He eats about 1 a week, 2 every once in a while, if he is really hungry. He hasn't lost his appetite, or gotten lethargic. I got him from PetSmart. And the "expert" there said, my snake might might be hibernating for winter. I can see in the last 48hrs his color has changed to a dull color, and he has gotten some of the scales off of his face, but I have read that they are supposed to shed full in 24hrs. It's been 2 days. I am going to put him in a plastic shoe tub with a towel at the bottom for him to rest on, and luke warm water an inch deep (so he doesn't have to swim) for about 10-15 min. I clean his tank every 2 weeks. What am I doing wrong? Why has it taken 3.5 months to shed? Am I not feeding him enough? I live in Texas, so the PS employee said they are native to the area, so his humidity is fine. Even though I did buy a med-sized water bowl to make it a nice for him. Also, I don't see any tiny mites, or bugs on him. He is breathing right, and around him mouth and nostrils look fine. If anyone has any ideas or can ease my mind it would totally help! Thank you for you time to read this thread. Also If you post!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
Emily1188
How big is he? Can you get a weight in grams? (Kitchen scale works great).

My first thought is that he just needs to more to eat, so that he grows, so that he sheds. My biggest corn from the '09 season is eating fuzzies (multiple) and could easily eat hoppers. It sounds like you are taking care of him and have him on a "maintenance" diet - enough to keep him in decent weight but not enough to produce growth.

Sounds like you are taking good care of the little guy! Kudos!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
nighthob
Update....

I really don't know, and lol...I don't have a kitchen scale. But It has been about a week, and He has shed off about 90% of his skin. He still has about a 1/2 inch band around his mid-area. He has it all off of his eyes, and tail area. I have soaked him in luke warm water w/ a washcloth at the bottom, for about 20 min. every night. It seems to help a lot. He seems to be healthy still. Thank you for your help!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
jlindp
So, has he not shed at all since you've had him or has he already shed, but just had some skin still stuck on him?

If the prior, he probably needs to be fed more and at shorter intervals. He must be a small yearling if he's still on pinkies. Mostly yearlings are on fuzzies/hoppers by that age. If you could get a weight on him, or take a picture of him in comparison to a ruler or something, that would help. As for feeding, if you haven't heard of the Munson Plan, it's a great feeding regime:

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50106

As for the latter, if he has a retained shed, just continue to soak for about 15 minutes. It should really come off after one or two baths. If he has stuck sheds, then it means your humidity is most likely too low. It should be between 40-50%. You can try giving him a humid hide (container w/ moss) or spritz the snake directly once a day when he goes in blue.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
Teddy Roosevelt
Alternatively, if it's really persistently stuck skin, holding him firmly but not squeezing in a warm washcloth and letting him slither through takes everything off for me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
amelanistic, shedding problem, yearling