CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items Wanted Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, WANTED can be posted within this area.

ISO: Local Albino Checkered Garter

Old 12-21-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
BigByrd47119
ISO: Local Albino Checkered Garter

Hey folks! Just what the title says. I'm looking for a garter breeder in the Metro Detroit area. I'm wanting to get a few albino checkered garters over the course of time but I would just like the one for now. Unfortunately they seem somewhat difficult to find around these parts, even at the reptile shows.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
daddio207
BHB Reptiles is in driving distance of you.

I've been eyeing an adult pair at BHB for awhile so don't buy them haha but here's the link....... http://bhb-reptiles.myshopify.com/co.../garter-snakes

Old 12-21-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
BigByrd47119
Thanks Daddio! Yea those guys are great. I know exactly the ones you speak of as well (don't worry, I'm only looking for the little guys). I may end up going up there but its nearly two hours one way. I can't believe how hard its been to find anyone breeding them closer to me. I smell a market prime for the picking...

Old 12-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
daddio207
Yeah I think (I know it was with me) most peoples first snake experience is with a wild garter and it usually is not a good one LOL
Captive bred garters are so beautiful and the morphs are pretty cool.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:26 AM   #5
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
I smell a market prime for the picking...
I have some doubt you'll find a strong market for most garter species in the US. They're quite a bit more popular in Japan and China. Reptiles by Mack produces several hundred albino checkereds a year, and while a few go to pet stores and the rare retail order, most are wholesaled to Asia.

Now if you can locate a breeding pair of Puget Sound garters, that's another story. When Scott Felzer sold off his garters and turned recluse, most of his Pugets went to one person, but the majority of the collection was decimated by disease before many babies were produced.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #6
BigByrd47119
Well, I finally found one! It was a bit of a drive to get there but I'm happy with the little guy. I'm going to leave this post up however as I'm still interested in more and particularly in finding any local breeders that may exist.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Well, I finally found one! It was a bit of a drive to get there but I'm happy with the little guy. I'm going to leave this post up however as I'm still interested in more and particularly in finding any local breeders that may exist.
You got to tell us more than that?

Morph? local? From who?

Old 12-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
DollysMom
Congrats! Pictures when able, please!

Old 12-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
BigByrd47119
A very small albino checkered garter! I'll get a pic when I can but I hurried to put it away in its new cage so as not to upset it too badly. Picked it up at a place called Lou's Pet Shop. I'd never been there before but I must say I was impressed with their knowledge of their animals and there selection of animals including a dozen species of tarantulas and a half dozen turtles and tortoise species.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #10
bushsnake
I have a garter gallery if you would like to check out an example of the variety of species.
bushsnake.yolasite.com

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google