CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

SITE RULES...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 12:34 PM   #31
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Please keep in mind that this forum is viewed by some schools,I know my sons biology teacher let her students visit it.
So things should be appropriate for all ages,the future of our hobby.
I disagree. Parents/teachers who allow their children to view a site are responsible for assuring themselves that site contents are appropriate.
In the chit-chat forum there are sometimes implications that are more adult in nature, mostly tasteful, often funny. I do not believe that even though questions arising from such might put a teacher on the spot, that we should sanitize the site to such an extent that it is kinder-ready.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #32
dionythicus
Quote:
Originally Posted by medusacoils View Post
On an even more serious note, I do wish the mod team would crack down more on people that make disparaging, disgusting and distasteful remarks like this;


I have seen this posted several times by a couple of members of this forum. Being the parent of "Special Needs Child", I find comments, like this, far more offensive then some cuss word.

Sorry, didn't mean to go all serious on you!

Wayne
But it all comes down to an individual's sensitivity to a word or comment. I have friends with special needs children and they aren't offended by these kind of comments because they aren't being deliberately directed at person with the intention of inflicting emotional harm. Its a broad statement. If someone specifically told them that their kids are retarded, you bet they'd be PO'd. Like many words in our new vocabulary, the original meaning has been somewhat overlooked to become a new vernacular. Gay didn't always mean homosexual, neither did fag (and it means something completely different depending on what country you're in).

Have you ever used the word "moron" when dealing with someone? How about "idiot"? Both have the same definition as "retarded", but we use them daily. So why is the word "retarded" still regarded as offensive over those other words? Even historically "moron" and "idiot" were more offensive than "retarded" when speaking of the mentally disabled. They all started out as a statement used in ignorance are still used by most people. It can be quite demeaning, but I'm not sure people who use these words as slang these days really know the history of what they mean. That's not to say its acceptable to tell someone with disabilities they're retarded, or a moron or an idiot, that's just plain vicious, but to call someone doing something stupid one of those words had become commonplace.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #33
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol View Post
Can we have some sort of warning system, like a PM or visitor message before an infraction until we get a feel for exactly what's expected?
For most of the listed violations, there is an option to issue a warning instead of assigning infraction points. Personally, I think the warnings aren't of much use. Minor infractions carry minor penalties. I don't know if I've ever seen a suspension/ban triggered by accumulated infraction points. Most members who are suspended/banned are blatantly asking for it.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #34
dionythicus
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucillle View Post
I disagree. Parents/teachers who allow their children to view a site are responsible for assuring themselves that site contents are appropriate.
In the chit-chat forum there are sometimes implications that are more adult in nature, mostly tasteful, often funny. I do not believe that even though questions arising from such might put a teacher on the spot, that we should sanitize the site to such an extent that it is kinder-ready.
Exactly. This isn't a scientific site for the discussion of cornsnakes. This is a forum where people who enjoy the hobby come together and talk about snakes, cars, women, men, politics, whatever. I don't think we need to be less of ourselves because kids are looking. If you wouldn't say it around your kids, you shouldn't say it here. We should always be aware of the fact that kids are on the web and can access this site, but I'm not going to edit myself because a teacher or parent doesn't pay attention to what their kids are doing.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #35
stephen
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucillle View Post
I disagree. Parents/teachers who allow their children to view a site are responsible for assuring themselves that site contents are appropriate.
In the chit-chat forum there are sometimes implications that are more adult in nature, mostly tasteful, often funny. I do not believe that even though questions arising from such might put a teacher on the spot, that we should sanitize the site to such an extent that it is kinder-ready.
Thats true ,spammers came on and advertising for porn was on here before,which really kind of bummed me out.It was taken down immediately. I know this is the internet and things happen. For the students that want to learn and actually see the results of breeding different genes together by viewing the photo gallery was cool,it brought more interest and amazement.
Ever since I could walk I was fascinated by all kinds of animals and grew to love animals.For others who are like me, I am willing to try to help them in anyway I can. I was just pointing out that children maybe viewing and to try to keep that in mind when posting is all.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #36
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I was just pointing out that children maybe viewing and to try to keep that in mind when posting is all.
And I was saying that despite the fact that I love children, I come here to relax and chat with adults. I stay within the guidelines of the site, but I do not keep in mind that children may be looking. I raised two sons and did not expect others to look out for them on the internet, and I feel it is the parents responsibility and not mine to make sure their kids are seeing age appropriate stuff.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #37
medusacoils
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionythicus View Post
But it all comes down to an individual's sensitivity to a word or comment. I have friends with special needs children and they aren't offended by these kind of comments because they aren't being deliberately directed at person with the intention of inflicting emotional harm. Its a broad statement. If someone specifically told them that their kids are retarded, you bet they'd be PO'd. Like many words in our new vocabulary, the original meaning has been somewhat overlooked to become a new vernacular. Gay didn't always mean homosexual, neither did fag (and it means something completely different depending on what country you're in).

Have you ever used the word "moron" when dealing with someone? How about "idiot"? Both have the same definition as "retarded", but we use them daily. So why is the word "retarded" still regarded as offensive over those other words? Even historically "moron" and "idiot" were more offensive than "retarded" when speaking of the mentally disabled. They all started out as a statement used in ignorance are still used by most people. It can be quite demeaning, but I'm not sure people who use these words as slang these days really know the history of what they mean. That's not to say its acceptable to tell someone with disabilities they're retarded, or a moron or an idiot, that's just plain vicious, but to call someone doing something stupid one of those words had become commonplace.
Based on this statement, the "N" word is acceptable to use in some contexts, as long as I am not directing it specifically at an African American!?!?

Thanks for clarifying!

Wayne
 
Old 11-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #38
wstphal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucillle View Post
And I was saying that despite the fact that I love children, I come here to relax and chat with adults. I stay within the guidelines of the site, but I do not keep in mind that children may be looking. I raised two sons and did not expect others to look out for them on the internet, and I feel it is the parents responsibility and not mine to make sure their kids are seeing age appropriate stuff.
Agreed. But the general perception is shifting toward requiring the environment to be kid friendly, rather than that adults keep kids away from the unfriendly environment. It's probably good for us to be reminded that kids do come here (and I don't mean under 18 hardcore herp lovers) & to moderate our language to avoid anything unsuitable.

Of course, I hope we don't ever have to deal with adults who feel that discussing breeding behaviors in snakes is inappropriate!
 
Old 11-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #39
LBoz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionythicus View Post
Exactly. This isn't a scientific site for the discussion of cornsnakes. This is a forum where people who enjoy the hobby come together and talk about snakes, cars, women, men, politics, whatever. I don't think we need to be less of ourselves because kids are looking. If you wouldn't say it around your kids, you shouldn't say it here. We should always be aware of the fact that kids are on the web and can access this site, but I'm not going to edit myself because a teacher or parent doesn't pay attention to what their kids are doing.
I repped Cathy (K?) for this post but I'll voice my opinon as well. As a forum owner, I like my site to be exactly what she described above. A place for hobbyists to come and talk fish and anything else they choose within reason in a public forum. It's not my job to supervise other people's children.

I think if you keep your posts written in much the same way you would voice it in a room full of civil people, you're going to pretty much avoid any infractions. If you're a person who would walk into a room of strangers and start swearing and throwing out racial slurs or whatever, then you're likely the type of poster who will receive infractions here. Not that I haven't said things here that I wouldn't say in such a room, but I'm hoping that my meaning is clear. If the mods want us to be more civil to each other, I know I'll personally make every attempt to be a little less curmudgeonly. Not an easy task for me, but I'll try.
 
Old 11-21-2009, 01:53 PM   #40
carol
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Please keep in mind that this forum is viewed by some schools,I know my sons biology teacher let her students visit it.
So things should be appropriate for all ages,the future of our hobby.
Then again, one visit to a school campus could make some of the worst of us blush listening to students and teachers alike! My son's Chemistry teacher is in love with the F word.

So many things here are carefully implied to where a child would have no idea and if they did, someone corrupted them before we did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
For most of the listed violations, there is an option to issue a warning instead of assigning infraction points. Personally, I think the warnings aren't of much use. Minor infractions carry minor penalties. I don't know if I've ever seen a suspension/ban triggered by accumulated infraction points. Most members who are suspended/banned are blatantly asking for it.
I guess I'll just have to be ready for it then. I try really hard to behave myself but I don't always win the battle. Sometimes I just wanna....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZhys7Dg8YM

(I'm having troubles embed)
 

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Page generated in 0.06334305 seconds with 9 queries
Copyright Rich Zuchowski/SerpenCo