CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Light/heat question

Old 12-31-2021, 03:29 PM   #1
Nyrkorey
Light/heat question

So I have my snake in a 75 gallon tank, he's amazing healthy , sheds great, amazing eater. Super calm when being handled but I'm struggling with one thing is heat!. I have a heat mat under the tank which sits at the right temperature but im struggling to get heat down low away from that spot. I even have 2 big ceramic heaters on top of my tank on his warm side on 24/7 for him and it only gets too 75-77 degrees which drives me crazy, he sits on the ledge of the tank by the heaters all the time, so I gave to assume he is trying to get closer to the heat.. has anyone had an issue with getting heat to reach the bottom, Idk what else to do even with to big ceramic heats bulbs it doesn't really get the ambient temperature by his Aspen warm enough I feel

Old 12-31-2021, 03:30 PM   #2
Nyrkorey
My other though was maybe ill go out and get him a 20-30 gallon tank so its smaller since he probably doesn't need all that room in the 75 and the heat will reach better

Old 12-31-2021, 03:51 PM   #3
MissJennifer
I don't have ceramic heaters, but this is what I have for my girl.
3 lights; two for daytime and one for night.
Cool side day is a 75 watt bulb; hot side is a 150 watt and I have a heat mat underneath.
(My room is on the cooler side)
The middle one is the night light for warmth at 50 watts.
Temps run at 70-75• cool, 80 warm (middle) and 90 hot side. Her vet's recommendations; this is for a 40gal breeder.
Hope it helps!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Old 12-31-2021, 04:22 PM   #4
Nyrkorey
Awesome reply! Thank you so much! I think I gotta get him out of the 85 bc its almost about 20 inches deep! So heat has a real hard time hitting the bottom. I originally went with ceramic bc I wanted the heat on all the time without the light at night and I have a uvb bulb that stays on as his sun/day light then goes off at night will tje ceramic heat stays on

Old 12-31-2021, 05:41 PM   #5
MissJennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrkorey View Post
Awesome reply! Thank you so much! I think I gotta get him out of the 85 bc its almost about 20 inches deep! So heat has a real hard time hitting the bottom. I originally went with ceramic bc I wanted the heat on all the time without the light at night and I have a uvb bulb that stays on as his sun/day light then goes off at night will tje ceramic heat stays on
Very welcome!
Petsmart has a 51 gal setup that is really nice - not sure of your location, but it has everything included in it.
I've been debating on upgrading to it due to her size; maybe come taxes.
Good luck!

Old 01-09-2022, 06:11 PM   #6
Karl_Mcknight
First of all, those thermometers you have stuck to the glass are useless. They measure the air temp around them. You snake does not crawl along the side of the tank, it crawls on the bottom.

The temps are critical on the bottom, the temps of the air inside the tank or the top of the tank do not matter.

You should have at least 2 hides, more is better, but a Minimum of 2. One hide on the cool side of the tank and 1 hide on the warm side of the tank. You should measure your temps from "Inside of those hides"

The warm side Hide should be placed directly over the heat pad, and the cool side hide will be room temp.

Your snake has the choice between the 2 hides. If it wants to cool off it will go to the cool side, if it wants to be warm it will go to the warm side.

The temp inside the warm hide should be between 83 and 88, year round, and the temp inside the cool hide should be about 70 to 75.

All those lights you have on top are not needed. In fact if they stay on all the time you might actually be harming your snake. They need a regular day and night cycle to keep their metabolism and sleep regular just as in the wild. You should have 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark.

I use a regular room light from across the room and it's on a timer. I don't have to mess with it. I have 2 heat pads. I have 1 heat pad under the warm hide that keeps it at 85 degrees all the time.

I have a separate heat pad under the cool hide that only comes on if the room temp dips below 70. It is set to 70 degrees and only comes on a few days each winter.

I have no additional heat, no lamps overhead.

My snake is Happy and Healthy and never been sick.

People forget, Corn snakes are not "Tropical snakes." They don't need a lot of heat.
Too much heat will actually hurt them.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:25 PM   #7
MissJennifer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
First of all, those thermometers you have stuck to the glass are useless. They measure the air temp around them. You snake does not crawl along the side of the tank, it crawls on the bottom.

The temps are critical on the bottom, the temps of the air inside the tank or the top of the tank do not matter.

You should have at least 2 hides, more is better, but a Minimum of 2. One hide on the cool side of the tank and 1 hide on the warm side of the tank. You should measure your temps from "Inside of those hides"

The warm side Hide should be placed directly over the heat pad, and the cool side hide will be room temp.

Your snake has the choice between the 2 hides. If it wants to cool off it will go to the cool side, if it wants to be warm it will go to the warm side.

The temp inside the warm hide should be between 83 and 88, year round, and the temp inside the cool hide should be about 70 to 75.

All those lights you have on top are not needed. In fact if they stay on all the time you might actually be harming your snake. They need a regular day and night cycle to keep their metabolism and sleep regular just as in the wild. You should have 12 hours of light and 12 hours of dark.

I use a regular room light from across the room and it's on a timer. I don't have to mess with it. I have 2 heat pads. I have 1 heat pad under the warm hide that keeps it at 85 degrees all the time.

I have a separate heat pad under the cool hide that only comes on if the room temp dips below 70. It is set to 70 degrees and only comes on a few days each winter.

I have no additional heat, no lamps overhead.

My snake is Happy and Healthy and never been sick.

People forget, Corn snakes are not "Tropical snakes." They don't need a lot of heat.
Too much heat will actually hurt them.
Not to argue; but as my snake was seen by a vet & said vet IS aware of the set-up - she Said it is fine. Her bowl has space underneath to hide as well. She does have 12 hours day/night.
She is happy & healthy which is what matters.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google