CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Which Snakes Can Live together?

Old 01-20-2022, 06:33 PM   #51
Rich Z
Well, I think some of them learn to appreciate their captivity. My younger brother (Ross) once had a black rat snake that he raised from a hatching. He carried that snake everywhere and they were nearly inseparable. Every once in a while, Ross would forget to fasten down the cage lid and our mom would find that snake just coiled up on top of the cage. He never wondered far and seemed to be content with the situation.

In another instance, I caught a very large yellow rat snake in the Englewood area (back when it was mostly wild and sparsely populated. I pulled him out of a palm tree in back of the motel my parents had rented for us all. Poor thing was heavily scarred from obvious past battles it had been in. And like the above mentioned black rat snake, occasionally he would find his way out of his cage, but would always be laying right on top of the lid. I think he recognized that the free food comes from above, and he just wanted to be closer to the source.

Heck thinking about it, a long while back I had captured an adult corn snake near the Murdock area of Florida. Again, this was when it was fairly wild and wooly, and the place is wall to wall strip malls and stores now. Anyway, Connie and I were in the area for a while, and this was the first snake I had caught for that trip. So I would take her out of the bag often, to handle her to get her used to it and give her a drink of water. When it came time to leave for home, I had caught other snakes that I wanted to keep more than that original corn snake, so we took her back to where we had captured her. This one was more uniformly orange colored, and I tended to prefer the more Miami Phase looking corns. Matter of fact, this may have been when I caught that original ancestor to the Lavender line, if I am not mistaken. That was right in an abandoned cement "factory" in Murdock, FL, right at the intersection of routes 776 and 41. Anyway, I pulled her out of the bag and laid her on the ground. Normally a snake will just take off away from me, but this girl just kept on turning around, trying to climb up my legs, no matter how many times I would peel her off of my leg and put her back on the ground, she just headed right back to my legs. For all the world seemingly telling me "Please don't send me back into the wild, Mr. Rich!". I had to eventually place her in a tree and then run the other way to the vehicle to escape. Just darn odd behavior. I have never had a snake act like that before nor since. Maybe I should have kept her after all. I kind of feel bad about that, thinking about it.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #52
Frank Pinello
My 2 cents.......
Snakes are found together in the wild all the time. However, other than breeding reasons, I don’t believe it is because they like each other’s company. I believe it’s because the area they are found together is a prime area for both food and shelter which attract many to one area or spot. Also heat and humidity at a particular spot is the most comfortable attracting multiple snakes. I bet each of these snakes would prefer they were in this prime spot alone.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:03 PM   #53
SLJensen
I really cannot speak for a snake because I ain't one. I often find snakes "cohabitating" out in the wild. Are they there because of love to be with each other, because of desired environmental conditions, or because of a lack of other suitable habitat?....that is a question that we may never really know (but we still all insert our anthropomorphic feelings in this).

I also have had some snakes show an affinity for human contact/interaction. They are much smarter than we usually give them credit for. I also believe they would be much better off in enclosures that are much larger and more complex than what "industry standards" would suggest.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
housing