CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Possibly stunted growth

Old 01-12-2022, 09:25 PM   #1
Kittikatt
Possibly stunted growth

Hey all, new here. I just adopted a female corn and she is apparently 3 years old. I weighed her today and she is 135 grams... I'm no expert but I think that is quite small.

I haven't fed her yet(they fed her the day I got her) and I'm researching the size of food that would be best for her. I measured her at 1.5 inches at the widest point and was thinking about the 10-15 gram mice. She doesn't look too underweight as her spine isn't sticking out, but she isn't very long either. I'll measure her if someone wants to know.

Any advice would be nice, her previous owner said they only fed her pinkies, so I'm sure she will love the calcium from the bigger mice, I just don't want to feed her something too big and have her just regurgitate it.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:32 AM   #2
hypnoctopus
Yeah, that's definitely pretty small for her age. Being fed pinkies for three years is not great. Hopefully she won't have any lasting damage from the lack of calcium and other nutrients. At her size, I would do a few meals of 10ish gram mice and then move up to 15 gram mice. She could do a once a week schedule to help her get on track. Make sure she has appropriate heat for digestion and she should be able to handle that size. She might be confused by larger mice at first!

Would love to see a picture of her too!

Old 01-13-2022, 10:41 AM   #3
Kittikatt
I didn't even think about her being confused by bigger prey, but it makes sense! Yeah I was thinking about feeding her on a juvenile schedule for a bit until she's bigger. Glad to hear I have the right ideas about feeding sizes and schedules though She is super friendly even though he previous owner didn't handle her much. Here's a picture!

Old 01-13-2022, 12:51 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
She's pretty! She doesn't even look skinny, so that's good.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
Caryl
Aww, so nice that the snake has moved in with somebody who'll feed her appropriately. I mean, who would want to live on nothing but baby food?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google