CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Starting to lose hope on hatchling

Old 10-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
Danko
Starting to lose hope on hatchling

I got a new corn, my first one ever, about 2 weeks ago. I didn't realize it at first but the temps were wrong and it was wayyyy too hot at first. My corn wasn't eating so I figured that was the problem. Now he will continue to not eat so its been like 3 weeks overall.

I love the little guy and can tell he has now started a new hobby for me but if he dies I will be so upset. I've been trying all different things and now I don't know what to do next.

Anyone ever feel this way, especially with a hatchling?

How many weeks until this is really serious?

Old 10-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #2
tbtusk
With a hatchling, don't panic for another week at least. You're little guy can probably go a full 2 months without food, and maybe more. Of course, you don't want him to go that long, but just remember that you have time.

So the first thing I need to ask is what are the temperatures in the cage? How long have you had this hatchling, and do you know if he was eating before you got him? This is all very important to figuring out why he's not eating. What are you feeding him, and how often are you trying to feed him? Finally, what techniques have you tried to get him to eat? Have you tried live, braining, or cutting the mouse, or have you just changed the conditions in his cage?

If you can post all that, then hopefully I, and the others on the forums, can give you good idea of what to try next. If that's not enough info, don't worry, I've got a few more questions up my sleeve.

I hope I can help!!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:04 PM   #3
Flagg
2 or 3 weeks is nothing, you have quite a while before you should start to lose hope.

Make sure the temps are correct. Use a rheostat or thermostat to regulate the temperatures. Make sure you have a good digital thermometer with a probe so you can get accurate temperature readings.

As tbtusk said above, there are a lot of tricks you can try to get a non-feeder started eating. The first thing I would try is a live newborn pinky if you can find one.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
susang
Ditto with Turner, maybe I missed this but has this snake eaten for you? and then all the other questions mentioned above, susang

Old 10-22-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Danko
The temps in the tank have been good for a while now (even though it was too hot for like the first week I had him because the thermometer sucked). He has never eaten for me even though I have tried several techniques- now I will try feeding him a live one tonight. I can't imagine my snake to refusing to eat a newborn pinky after not eating for three weeks.

To answer the other questions: I've had him for three weeks and he was on frozen pinkies beforehand. He seemed to be interested like once to the frozen ones but like I said I'd be very surprised if he does not eat the live one.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Kokopelli
Hatchlings can be like that. I had one who refused to eat for two months- and he was fine.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
CornNoobie
Good luck with the live pinky. Let us know how it goes

Old 10-22-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
MerlinsPop
There are a lot of techniques you can keep trying... don't give up hope yet. It took Vern 3 tries before she ate. The trick that worked for her was the paper bag** one. I put a live pinky in (poked a few holes with a skewer before any of this), folded the bag up and put it back in the viv, near, but not on, the hot side. 6 - 8 hours later, no pinky and a pudgy Vern. It was like the move to my house blew a fuse in her head and she forgot what a pinky was for. After that one, she's had no issue at all muching f/t pinks, with or without an audience.

**In case anyone's not familiar with a 'lunch' size paper bag...when open, the 'floor' area is maybe 3x5 inches and the side of the bag stands maybe 12 - 16 inches. Big enough to hold a sandwich and a can of soft drink. I'm not talking about a big grocery bag or anything like that.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Danko
I don't really get this paper bag trick. Is it on its side so my snake can enter easily? Also, has anyone ever just put the pinky in the tank with nothing else to make it as natural as possible?

Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
Danko
oops forgot to add something... my snake looks extremely small- do most people feel this way about their hatchlings? Because I can't imagine the whole pinky fitting in my snake.