CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

HELP, UTH KEEPS OVER HEATING !!

Old 10-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
bambam1313
Exclamation HELP, UTH KEEPS OVER HEATING !!

I have a UTH on the viv for my corn snake .. i kno the cool side is 70-80 degrees F and the warm side they need is 80-86 degrees F

my UTH isn't stable, it goes up as far as 110 degrees F
I can't keep plugging in and unplugging the UTH every few hours,
I noticed that the guy who had the snake before me was using a heat map that we would normally use for a bad back or neck, etc and when i checked it on about heat is was wway over 100 degrees F .. so i bought the UTH from the pet store ! but now im having this problem because every UTH i looked at dont have anything to regulate the temperature !

Whats the best thing to buy for my UTH to stay at a stable temp. ?? any ideas .. i live in newfoundland and we are now starting to get colder temp. outside .. which now if i keep the UTH off at all it can go down as far as 50 degrees F. i never have heat on in my room cause im room is natural good temp . but i reallly need to get something to help my UTH be stable between 80 and 85 degrees F

Anybody have any adivce on what i can buy to stable it ?!

,xo*

Old 10-26-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
bambam1313
i was told to place it on the side of the tank by a person at the pet store but my cousin whos after having a few snakes told me to put it underneath the tank which i was going to put it there anyways .

Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Nanci
You need to get a thermostat or rheostat. For now, a lamp dimmer that you plug it into would work. Like a rheostat. You can put a piece of floor tile in the viv, on top of the UTH in an emergency so you can keep using it without a thermostat, but eventually you ought to get one. This is a cheap thermostat that works well.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
bambam1313
Thanks For the help Nanci , ill be hopefully going to get one within the next few days !

Old 10-26-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Haarstad
I just got back from The Home Depot, for 11 dollars, i got this dimmer in black and it works amazing

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

hope this helps

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
temperature