CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Digesting(or not) on the cool side

Old 08-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Anseme
Digesting(or not) on the cool side

Hi there! I'm a new member here, I got a corn snake couple weeks ago, she is 2 years old. She is my first snake and I love her lots.

I fed her on Saturday night and right now it's Tuesday morning. Since at least Sunday morning she has been hanging out on the cool side of the viv, and I've been so worried about her..
I live in a basement so temps can't be crazy high here, I have one of those zoomed thermometers that I placed on the cool side and it says 75-76, I got a probe digital one mailed to me tomorrow.
I thought the hot side might've been too hot and got a thermostat yesterday lowered the temp to 86 on the bottom of the tank for now while waiting for the thermometer.

I am just worried that she ate a pretty big mouse, and I can still see a big bulge on her after almost 3 days that seems as big as it was on Saturday...
I can see her sometimes going to the waterbowl to drink but she stays on the cool side.

Should I be worried it may be a regurge or is this normal? Should I leave her be or can I help her by moving her to the warm side perhaps? I would think she would know to go there especially now that the temps are lower with the thermostat...

Thank you very much in advance for responding.
Anna

Old 08-18-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Lightning
I'm not an expert but I'll share my opinion/experience. My snake ate an adult mouse on Saturday evening and stayed in the cool-side hide until last night (Monday), so 2 full days. Overnight though he was on the warm-side because he had moved the warm-side hide around. But this morning he was back on the cool-side. He has done that before even though most of the time he goes to the warm-side hide after eating. He has never had a re-gurge. The comments I have seen on this forum from more experienced snake owners is that our snakes are quite capable of choosing the correct temperature.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Anseme
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
I'm not an expert but I'll share my opinion/experience. My snake ate an adult mouse on Saturday evening and stayed in the cool-side hide until last night (Monday), so 2 full days. Overnight though he was on the warm-side because he had moved the warm-side hide around. But this morning he was back on the cool-side. He has done that before even though most of the time he goes to the warm-side hide after eating. He has never had a re-gurge. The comments I have seen on this forum from more experienced snake owners is that our snakes are quite capable of choosing the correct temperature.
That's true! I also saw some comments like that, and it makes sense, just thought I'd share in case if I'm doing something wrong.. Thank you

Old 08-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
jake95
The first time I fed my snake, he stayed on the cool side for the duration of the digestion period, once he went to the bathroom, he moved over to the warm side. I will say I think your warm side is a bit to warm, I've been reading that it should never get above 85*. I have mine at around 83*-84*

Old 08-18-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Karl_Mcknight
here's what I've always been told -

The reason we provide both a Hot side and a Cool side is so the snake has a "Choice" of where to hang out. If the cage was hot all over or cool all over you'd have greater cause for concern. The snake will go where he/she feels most comfortable at any given time.

I don't know why he does it, but sometimes when I feed Rufus, he will go straight to the hot hide. Other times I have fed him he goes to his cool hide. He does just fine either way.

Just make sure the cool spot is not Too cool, (the temp should not fall below 70) and the Hot side doesn't go above 87. Ideal temps are about 84 & 75. And try to measure the temps on the actual glass bottom of your cage, not up on top of the substrate. The snake will burrow and can come into contact with the actual glass bottom. That's where the temp readings should be taken.

As long as you provide a hot side and cool side, and at least 2 "Hide Boxes" one on each side, and clean fresh water every day, Your snake will probably do just fine.

Old 08-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
Anseme
Thanks for the replies guys! I will check the temps better tomorrow when I get the thermometer in the mail, hope my girl knows what she is doing she is still digesting but her bulge seems to look a bit better.

Thanks again

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
behavior, digestion, newbie, temperature