CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Feedback Needed on New Search Function Tutorial and New Member Sticky

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
zwyatt
Feedback Needed on New Search Function Tutorial and New Member Sticky

After getting Rich's blessing, I've created a new tutorial for members to use that will hopefully show them how to effectively search the forums for information. I realize that many people, myself included, take for granted the ability to search the forums. I think some members just don't know how to get the best results from searching and many members just blatantly ignore doing a search before posting. Some others probably just don't think to search first.
Believe it or not, the whole, lengthy tutorial that I've written is really just meant to inspire members to search before creating threads. However, it will also serve as a resource for those who aren't as computer literate or search savvy.
Since the husbandry forum is where the majority of basic questions are asked, I was thinking that this tutorial might be stickied there, but I'm open to suggestions.

As I made the tutorial for searching, I realized that a collection of tips and guidelines for new members might also be beneficial. It might cut down on some of the nonsense, and will also hopefully reinforce the things that will help new members assimilate into the community while avoiding any negative reactions to the way they conduct themselves.
Naturally, this would be placed in the new member's forum.

I'm going to be putting up the rough drafts of both the search tutorial and the new member helper in this thread following this post. I'm looking for any and all suggestions, opinions, and criticisms that all contributing members have. If I left something out or you think something should be included let me know. Don't be afraid to tell me if you see something wrong with it. You won't hurt my feelings. You can either post your thoughts here or PM me. I appreciate your help!

NOTE: Since I'm copying these out of Word and straight into this thread, I will probably be editing them for the first couple of minutes, but then they should be finished and ready for critique.