CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Multi Tier vivs and heating problems

Old 11-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
decadence
Multi Tier vivs and heating problems

Okay, i've read that if you have a multiple tier viv and heating in all of them that the heat from the lower cage rises to the cage above it heating that cage up more then what it's supposed to be set at? Has anyone ever encountered this issue and if so how did you solve it?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
decadence
Anyone have an idea? If this were to happen could I just adjust the heat on the upper cages?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Fatman608
Hey decadence,

I really can not answer your question but I can tell you that on my rack from top to bottom there is a temp difference. However, it is not enough to worry about. So, I would assume it would be the same on your multi tier viv.

Love the Fatman

Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 AM   #4
ZoologyGirl
I have a stand with 3 viv's on it. Like Fatman said, there is a difference in temps between the top and bottom one, but is not enough to worry about.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
bitsy
I have a stack of three vivs, all identical setups. The temp can vary by two or three degrees from top to bottom - nothing to worry about. The thermostat (I have all three controlled by one stat probe in the middle viv) keeps all the UTHs to around 85 degrees, which in all honesty doesn't create much in the way of rising residual heat. I aim to heat the floor, not the air. By the time you get a few inches above floor level, the heat seems to have mostly dissipated.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #6
4riscorn
We have 2 snake racks that have heat tape one with a Ranco stat on 6 of the shelves and Zilla on the other 2...then the other rack has 2 Zillas (will be getting a Ranco soon too) and then dimmers on the other shelves because the top two shelves have to be at a higher heat than my corns. And yes, there is a temp difference on each shelf with a couple being super close to the same. They basically range from 85-88. It is just a matter of setting the temps on the thermostats and making sure the probe is on the heat tape and not inside the tubs...and make sure they don't come off the tape or the temps will go up. One of our racks was up in the high 90's and we thought our Ranco had malfunctioned then we remembered to check the shelf and it had come off the heat tape.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
4riscorn
Here is a pic of the set-ups..couldn't get all the tubs in the pic but there are 8 shelves each rack

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
heat, heating