CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

class pet snake, will it be warm at night? please help :)

Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
janieg
Exclamation class pet snake, will it be warm at night? please help :)

hi everyone!

i'm a teacher and i'm getting a corn snake for a class pet. we have a 20L tank and i have a heating pad with a thermostat and a thermometer. i have the tank all set up and i am monitoring the temperature because i want to make sure that everything is good before we get the snake.

as it is a class pet, the snake will be in the classroom by itself at night. the snake kit that i got through a grant has a heat lamp with it, with a blue daylight bulb, but i have read that corn snakes do not need heat lamps, so right now i am not using it.

so the hot end of the tank is at 85 degrees (i have the thermostat and thermometer probes touching the glass bottom of the tank where the heating pad is, under the aspen substrate), but the cool end of the tank is at about 70 degrees, which i feel might be too cool?

my question is, do you think i should have a heating lamp in the middle of the tank, set on a timer, so that the snake won't get too cold at night when the heat won't be on in the classroom? and is my cool side too cold?

thank you!

Old 11-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
those temps are fine. The warm end is ok, the cool end too as long as it doesn't drop much lower. (I actually use 2 heat pads, 1 at 85 degrees and 1 at 74 on the cool side because the temps go down to around 65 at night.)

The heat lamp is not necessary. In fact it can dry out the air and then you'll have a humidity / shedding problem. Most of us do not use heat lamps. A "Cool" viewing lamp is ok as long as it doesn't produce too much heat. If your class room has plenty of windows and is well lit, then you may not need any light at all. To keep the snakes Bio and Metabolism regulated properly as a pet animal, it should receive about 12 hours light and 12 hours dark each day. If you do choose to use some type of viewing light, I suggest you put it on a timer so you won't have to remember to turn it on and off every day.

You'll need 2 areas for the snake to "Hide" as well. 1 on the warm end and 1 on the cool end.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #3
Karl_Mcknight
Oh and by the way, it's very cool to have a pet snake in the class room with children.

That's what got me hooked on snakes way back in 1974. We had a pet Boa in my science class in the 10th grade. The following year I got a Boa myself. (I was 17) and it was my first snake.

Over the years (I'm 57 now) I've had 2 boas, a ball python and currently have a corn snake, and it all started when I was in school.

I'm assuming you're the teacher? Just for curiosity what class do you teach and what age are the children? And have you picked out a corn snake yet?

Old 11-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
janieg
thank you so much for your quick response! that's my concern, that the temp will drop lower at night. although the heating pad should maintain the same amount of heat since it's on the thermostat. i would get another heatpad for the cooler end like you have but i don't think i will be able to plug in another thermostat in my classroom, along with the lamp i will need.

unfortunately i have no windows in my classroom, although it is well lit. so i will need a light on a timer because when i leave the classroom i turn the light off. i'm there from about 7:30 to 5:00 each day. maybe i will use a cool viewing lamp for that - to give the snake 12 hours of light. what sort of bulb would you recommend?

i am the teacher, and i teach pre-k. i know a snake is a controversial choice for children so young but i've thought it over and i think it will be a great pet for us. i will be the one to take the snake home over any break/vacation. we haven't picked out a snake yet.

Old 11-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
janieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post

You'll need 2 areas for the snake to "Hide" as well. 1 on the warm end and 1 on the cool end.
thanks, i have those. i also have one in the middle

Old 11-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
kdickens
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieg View Post
hi everyone!
so the hot end of the tank is at 85 degrees (i have the thermostat and thermometer probes touching the glass bottom of the tank where the heating pad is, under the aspen substrate),
Welcome Janieg! You'll find a lot of info here to help your class along. Your little students will love this project! May want to get a snake a bit older (other than a hatchling) .. maybe 1 or 2 yrs old. A bit larger and easier to handle. Find one that's not 'snippy' ... most are very gentle.
Just wondering ... is the heat mat on the inside or the outside?

Ken

Old 11-27-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
keep in mind, different snake species have different temp / humidity requirements. The temps you have are fine for a corn snake, but if you opt for a boa or ball python you'll have to bump it up to about 90 to 95 degrees.

the heat pads and thermostats use very little amperage. You can actually plug 2 into 1 outlet with the proper extension cord or adapter. (I have my whole system, 2 heat pads, 2 rheostats, and a light on 1 outlet). The heat pads are about 15 watts, and a light bulb is another 25 watts, my total is only about 55 watts, and by comparison, the blow dryer you dry your hair with is probably 900 or more. So no problem putting it all on 1 plug.

As far as the viewing light, just about any "Cool" Flourescent tube apparatus is ok. I actually use a Zilla Blue Daylight bulb (link below) on a timer. This bulb *Does produce Heat* so I have it mounted a considerable distance above the cage so that no additional heat is added.

http://www.petco.com/product/120342/...Heat-Lamp.aspx

Old 11-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
janieg
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
Just wondering ... is the heat mat on the inside or the outside?
thank you! the heat mat is outside of the tank, attached to the bottom.

Quote:
keep in mind, different snake species have different temp / humidity requirements. The temps you have are fine for a corn snake, but if you opt for a boa or ball python you'll have to bump it up to about 90 to 95 degrees.
http://www.petco.com/product/120342/...Heat-Lamp.aspx
thank you, we are getting a corn snake. so do you think that i should get a second heating pad? or will the snake be okay with one side being 85 and the other at around 70? my fear is that the cooler end will get too cold overnight when the heat in the classroom goes down

Old 11-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #9
Karl_Mcknight
he should do fine at those temps. The cool side is a bit concerning. A temp of about 68 is the coolest you'll want to allow. If there is any chance your cool side temp will drop below 70, then you might want the 2nd pad. But if you feel certain it won't go below that then you'll be ok.

Optimum temps for a corn snake are typically 83 to 88 warm side, and 70 to 76 cool side. (Night time temps can drop a bit, but should never go below 68). Unless you wish to brumate your snake in the winter months (a form of hibernation) but you should not do that unless you know what you're doing, and if it's a pet, it's senseless to do that anyway.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #10
janieg
Quote:
he should do fine at those temps. The cool side is a bit concerning. A temp of about 68 is the coolest you'll want to allow. If there is any chance your cool side temp will drop below 70, then you might want the 2nd pad. But if you feel certain it won't go below that then you'll be ok.
thank you. since i am going to be using a lamp to give the snake more light, do you think it would be okay to use a that lamp to give off a little heat (not a lot) to make the cool side a little warmer, rather than add another heating pad? the light would be on a 12 hour cycle.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
heating, temperature, vivarium