CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Need Help Balancing Tank Conditions!

Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #1
FriendlyAmoeba
Need Help Balancing Tank Conditions!

Hello! I'm still rather new to keeping a corn snake and I'm in a tricky situation. It's pretty dry where I live, but I was able to keep humidity at a good level over the summer. It gets cold where I live over the winter, so I have to use a space heater to make sure my viv is warm enough. Fortunately we were able to get the heat situation under control but now the humidity is WAY too low and my lovely snake has some leftover scales post shed for the first time, not to mention she feels a little dry. How can I raise the humidity without sacrificing the temperature?

Old 01-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
you can mist the cage twice a day with a spray bottle, or you can invest in a "Humid Hide" (see the links below). A humid Hide is a cave type hide that is completely enclosed except for 1 small opening. You can place sphagnum moss moistened with water in the hide. The moisture will permeate throughout the cage raising the humidity a small amount, but the snake can actually crawl into the hide and enjoy the damp moss and curl up in it, thereby softening his skin and moisturizing himself if he's dry.

I used to use a Humid hide during times of shed, but I just leave it in the cage all the time now. My snake loves it. The sphagnum moss will hold humidity for about 2 days, and you simply wet it again. After several uses, throw it out and reload it with fresh moss.

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Zoo-Med-...c=2&category=7

Old 01-07-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
FriendlyAmoeba
Thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
humidity, temperature, winter