CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

New Snake Owner

Old 01-14-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
supersol92
New Snake Owner

Hi Everyone,

I am a soon to be new corn snake owner. I tried to look up some answers to questions I had, but there are some that I need some extra help with.
I plan on getting a baby corn snake. I have a 20 gallon long tank with an 8 watt under tank heat pad, a couple of hides, and aspen bedding. The tank is next to a window, but the room does not get so bright during the day.
Do I need an alternate light source that does not provide much heat, or just rely on the natural light that comes in the room? It should also be noted that at night, the room is pitch black.
Second, I have 2 locks on the tank (1 on each of the narrow sides), but I saw that with enough force, the corners could be pushed up. I decided to get some velcro to keep the tank locked. Has anyone had experience with velcro? Has a snake escaped with velcro?

Thanks for all your help

Old 01-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
sian.kelly
You don't need an alternate light source, it'll be fine with just natural light. The room being pitch black at night is good as they need a day/night cycle.

I'm not sure about using Velcro so I'll let someone else answer that.
However, if you're using a 20gallon tank make sure to clutter it up a lot, loads of hides, fake plants and things like to make sure your snake feels secure.

Good luck for when you get your snake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
supersol92
Thanks so much!

Old 01-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
daddio207
Welcome !

Yes ^
No direct sunlight by the window. It can overheat the tank.

Look up "Dollysmom" posts .She has one where she made Velcro straps to stop escapes !

I'm sure she will also respond here

Old 01-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Kalista
You can see how I've used Velcro to secure my tank lid in this thread:
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...60&postcount=7

Old 01-14-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
supersol92
[ATTACH]Name:  20160114_204752.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  301.3 KB[/ATTACH]
Do you think this is okay, with the velcro on each corner? I've tried lifting the lid with the velcro attached and I can't open it at all.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
you really need about 4 or 5 more of the fake hanging vines and maybe another hide. There is too much "Wide Open" space in the tank. Corn snakes like to stay hidden, even when they're not. The more hiding space you can provide the better your snake will feel.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:05 AM   #8
sian.kelly
The Velcro looks like it should hold pretty well, if just be careful with the bits in between the Velcro as your snake may be able to push it up, so I'd give that a check.

I second what Karl says, the more cover the better. Also, is there a hide on both ends? Loads of fake vines, some hides, things like that.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
sian.kelly

I've attached a couple of pictures of my tank just so you can see what we mean by clutter

Old 01-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #10
supersol92
Very nice setup! I see what you mean. I'll get some more hides. I guess I was thinking that the snake would just burrow if he wants to hide in a different spot, but I guess more hides and vines can't hurt.
Thanks

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
heat, lighting, lock, new owner