CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

loosing weight

Old 05-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
Distaff
loosing weight

I posted about this earlier, but it is going on again. Consider it more of a rant than a question, but still concerning.

On March 7th Starbuck weighed 232 grams. He also finished a shed on that date. Fed normally until going into blue on March 31st, and shedding on the 4th of April. He accepted two feedings in April, and yesterday, on the 4th of May, I found him deep in blue again. Since he was looking slender, I got a weight: 222 grams. Despite the imminent shed, I offered a mouse, but he was not interested.

(The above makes it sound as if I don't check up on him enough - not true. I check daily every morning, mist his plants, and offer to take him out. He hasn't wanted to come out for the past week - cool weather ((?)). My eyesight sucks, and I don't see "blue" unless he is in sunlight.)

So, a loss of 10 grams in 58 days, and 3 three sheds in about the same amount of time.

Hope he is feeling OK. Seems fine otherwise.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Shiari
Shedding that frequently is abnormal unless he has sustained an injury. Please take him to the vet.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
ballpythoncrazy
If your snake loses more than 15% of his body weight then there is DEFINITELY a problem and he WILL need to be taken to a vet. But he's already lost 4% in a short time so yes, I would take him to the vet now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
My snake, "Rufus" refused food for almost 5 weeks several moths ago. During that time he lost no weight. He simply maintained where he was.

Minor fluctuations are acceptable. If your snake is young and still growing there should at least be an "Upward trend."

I agree with the others. A trip to the vet won't hurt. It may be nothing to worry about, but if it were me, I'd want to know for sure.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:32 PM   #5
Distaff
Thanks, everyone.

He came to me on January 19th of this year weighing in at 202 grams, and approx 32 inches long. Last time I tried to measure, he was about 34 inches long. Not sure how old he is; was sold as "proven breeder," although I purchased him just as a pet. No intention to breed.

I switched out his RHP for a UTH this evening (yes, with a T-stat set at 84F). He is always perched under that RHP, and I'm wondering if he was getting dehydrated, and a little too hot, now that room temps are warmer with spring. Temp gun tested several places on him while pearched read 92F at the highest reading. (That reading was never above the mid 80's during the winter. Obviously, should have considered the change with the arrival of spring.)

Relative humidity reads 50% (I never trust those things), but the instrument rests on the substrate, not up near the ledge. The plants are lush and healthy, but they are planted on the opposite side of the viv, and mostly grow lower.

His belly scales tend to chip (not a lot, but a bit here and there), and I wonder if that is why he is shedding again. Are a few slightly chipped scales normal? His substrate is soft, but those faux rock magnetic ledges he likes to climb on are very rough. Maybe I should smooth them down either by sanding, or a coat of paint.

Will get a vet if the change doesn't seem to solve the problem. At this point, I'm waiting for his shed and if he eats after.

Thanks again, everyone.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:42 AM   #6
daddio207
I love the "proven breeder" a lot of snakes are sold as ! LOL
I would never go against a recommendation to go to the vet and I wont here either but here's my take on what's going on. If in fact he is a proven breeder and based on the time of year I would say it's hormonal or in breeder mode if you like. I wouldn't be concerned over the 3 sheds so close or the weight loss wouldn't concern me either at 10g over 58 days YET...... I do agree with Shiari that frequent shedding is a sign of a health issue but I've had and have snakes that will go through that kind of short shed cycle with no health issues do to hormonal changes this time of year. Personally I would wait a few days after the shed and see if he eats. If he doesn't then I would try again in 7-10 days. If he still doesn't eat then I would make a trip to the Vet's and get an exam including a fecal.. His weight is still enough to not be worried about anything imminent IMO.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google