CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

adding another snake to a hatchling

Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
mbrown
Question adding another snake to a hatchling

i haeve one question, and i did some research, but couldnt really find what i was looking for. as you guys now, by now (lol) i aquired a hatchling bout 2 weeks ago. hes almost 4 mths now. i'm a beginner, but id also would like to have a bigger snake, maybe yearling,sub-adult or adult. i don't know the difference in sizes yet.(still gotta do more research). i am taking very good care of my hatchling, and everything seems to be going well. now....should i wait till i raised the hatchlingto an adult, to gather some experience, then get an older one ? or can i get an older one now?>>meaning..i don't have experience with an older snake. this hatchling is my first. is there anything important i should put in consideration, because i have never had an adult snake. hope i didn't make this too complicated. thank you for any replies.
-micchaela-

Old 09-16-2004, 10:42 AM   #2
So Pirate55
usually, keyword usually the adults are a little easier to care for. Do not put them together in the same viv. You kept mentioning doin your research so ur obviously you're on the right track. I recommend buying a copy of Kathy Love's Corn Snake Manual if you dont already have one. Also, use the search feature of this site. Any questions i've ever have, are nearly always answered with a combination of those to resources.

oh yeah, welcome aboard & good luck

Old 09-16-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
Flygning
After owning only a yearling snake, I inherited an adult. It was really different than my experience with my little one, but I don't regret taking him in. Just remember, owning any snake is a learning experience, and if you feel you have the time to handle 2 of them, go for it! Pretty soon you'll have dozens

Old 09-16-2004, 11:42 AM   #4
mbrown
thank you, pirate. i already ahve the book. i was wondering though...they dont need anything differnt from the lil ones right?except the feeders of course, but i mean vitamins or additional heat etc....

Old 09-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #5
mbrown
lol i hear ya. one more quesiotn..is it MANDATORY to breed them? i mean do they "NEED" to? cus i really dont intend to..i wouldnt have any clue what to do .lol

Old 09-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #6
Flygning
Nah, you don't have to breed them. Just keep them seperately (even if you think they are both males, or both females, etc) and you won't have anything to worry about.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:46 AM   #7
mbrown
thank you. have a nice day

Old 09-16-2004, 12:08 PM   #8
So Pirate55
no there's no need to breed them. Most of the people here breed them for love of the hobby. To the best of my knowledge, there are no additional vitamins or anything along those lines that you need to give adults. Once you move up in feeders, and being that you are not interested in breeding them, then you might want to space out feedings a little more to avoid fattening the snake up. If you buy an already tame adult, then i'd say you might enjoy it a little more than the sometimes flighty hatchlings. The adults tend to be a little more hardy as well.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #9
Jicin
You might want to add a little calcium. You can buy that in powder form in many reptile stores. Just dip the pinkie hehehehe. Pinkie dip I do use some reptile vitamines but i've never heard that's mandatory though.

Old 12-19-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
rachel132002
Love my babies but adults are a lot easier except for breeding season and males lol just the general not thinking on a 5day feed schedule but 10-14 instead is nice and it's cheaper too lol! Also adults tend to be calmer than hatchlings and there's more to hold on to should it decide to test the can i fly theory.

Rach

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google