CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Lavender/Ghost

Old 04-05-2002, 05:22 PM   #1
andys999
Lavender/Ghost

Has anyone bred the above cross - lavender/ghost?

I will be looking to breed a male lavender to female ghost next season.
Obviously the F1 generation will be all hets

and breeding the F2 generation brother to sister will give a 1:64 chance of a Lavender /ghost

I am curious if this combination has been achieved yet?

If so, does anyone have a pic?

Cheers

Andy

Old 04-05-2002, 08:27 PM   #2
Susan
You'ld have the best luck checking Rich's site (SerpenCo). I know he's produced amel lavenders and hypo lavenders. I'll bet he's tried for an aneryth/ghost lavender, but perhaps those combinations don't "mix" to produce a new morph.

Old 04-06-2002, 01:43 AM   #3
Serpwidgets
Close...

Rich posted a pic of a cornsnake that is both Anery and Lavender. Based on that picture, they do look quite different than either morph.

I see no reason to believe that hypo would not have an effect, since it obviously takes effect in the presence of lavender and anery genes.

---

You'll have a heck of a time busting through that 1 in 64 barrier. The way you're going now, keeping any F2s to continue breeding will not prove very helpful, as they will only be possible hets...

If you really really want to produce that triple-combination, breed a hypo lav to a ghost instead. The F1 would be Hypos, double-het for Anery and Lavender, reducing your odds to a more manageable 1 in 16.

Old 04-06-2002, 04:44 AM   #4
andys999
That's an interesting thought about using the hypo-lav instead

Re the f2s only being possible hets - I'm not arguing with you cos you're the main man on genetics
But
When I use corn prog and key in lavender male x ghost female it shows the offspring as definite hets for both lavender and ghost.
Perhaps I'm missing something

But I still prefer the idea of using hypo lav x ghost and having a 1 in 16 chance

Andy

Old 04-06-2002, 05:32 AM   #5
Serpwidgets
I think you're doing something wrong in the program, or I didn't explain it clearly enough.

Look at what comes out of a het by het cross: you get two types of offspring: mutants and 66% possible hets. With me so far?

When doing triple hets, you get the same thing with the 3 independent genes... everything that isn't showing a given mutation is 66% possible het for that mutation.

For example, say you breed your triple hets together and in your F2, you get a hypo lavender and a ghost. Just realize that the hypo lavender is only 66% POSSIBLE het for anery... both of his parents were only het for Anery, thus since he is not showing Anery, he is 66% poss het.

By the same token, the ghost is only 66% POSSIBLE het for lavender.

(If you're lost, don't proceed till you've figured out the above...)

---

Now, say you breed those two above together... if either one--or both of them--is not het for its "possible" trait, you will get Hypos, Hypo Lavs, and/or Ghosts, but you will never get that triple combo. How many years will you breed the two together before you figure out that it's not just bad luck, but one of them is not het?

Eventually, you would be able to get a pair of 2-mutant snakes het for the third thing, but you then have to spend 2-3 years raising them up before you can even find out if that's the one you can breed for your "triple" outcome.

Assuming you go the "possible het" route, you would be best off breeding the F2s to a known mutant or het for that other "possible" trait so you would know for sure what you are dealing with. (This adds another year to the time it's going to take you to get there... UGH!)

Meanwhile, you have the F2s that can still produce the triple morph for you, although that's a longshot, too.

But I still prefer the idea of using hypo lav x ghost and having a 1 in 16 chance

Exactly. It's not only better odds, it's a lot easier to figure out what the heck is going on.

Old 04-06-2002, 08:26 AM   #6
Kevin M
I see where andy could get confused. Going by the corn progeny predictor it clearly shows that an f1 generation cross of a lavender & ghost would result in 100% normals triple het for the above traits. Possible hets arent even a viable offspring with that software.

Unless Im also using it wrong.

-Kev

Old 04-06-2002, 08:36 AM   #7
andys999
Thanks Kev

At least I know now that it's not just me that's cracking up

But at the end of the day I'm convinced now that using serpwidgets route of using Hypo lavender and crossing that to a ghost is not only a quicker way of reaching the end result, it's also a little easier to follow

I just hope the end result is worth it - he he

Andy

Old 04-06-2002, 08:39 AM   #8
andys999
For the record

This is the result that my cornsnake progeny predictor gives

Male is, Lavender
Female is, Ghost

Offspring are predicted to be...
100.00%, Het for Ghost, Het for Lavender

Andy

Old 04-06-2002, 10:31 AM   #9
Gregg
Ghost, Lavender

Correct me, Serpwidgets, if I'm wrong, but another--and cheaper, if you cannot afford a Hypo-Lavender--way of getting a Ghost, Lavender in the F2 generation would be to cross a Normal, het for ghost/het for lavender to a Ghost. The F1 generation, according to "Mick's Cornsnake Progeny Predictor," would have a 1:8 chance for one or more of the off-spring being a ghost, het for lavender. IF one was successful in getting a male and female off-spring to raise and breed together, then, theoretically, your Ghost, het for lavender x Ghost, het for lavender would produce a 1:4 chance of getting a Ghost, lavender.

Of course, the F1 generation would also include a Ghost, het for ziltch, zero, nada. If you pick the wrong two ghost off-spring, or make a good pick on one and a bad pick on the other, then you may spend a few years chasing your tail before a Ghost, lavender appears, if at all.

In the long run, it would be cheaper to find someone--like Rich or Kathy--who might have a Ghost, Lavender to sell and buy it, or a pair.

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2002, 12:05 PM   #10
andys999
Sounds good to me

hmmmm anyone hapen to have a couple of spare normals, het for ghost/lavender that they don't want?

I wonder if such a mythical beast exists, especially on this side of the Atlantic?

Andy

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google