CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Feedback Needed on New Search Function Tutorial and New Member Sticky

Old 08-09-2006, 10:55 PM   #11
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanefate
I do have one small suggestion... perhaps you should mention in the "Search" tutorial that spelling is an important function in your search. And that if you are not capable of spelling a word correctly no amount of search criteria will produce a result.
That's a very good point. I'll add that in near the beginning. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2006, 12:10 AM   #12
Drizzt80
Zach, GREAT JOB!

The search tutorial is too long, but very well written. The newbs we 'have problems with' won't read through it. BUT, it's there for us to point to!

The newbie tips is great! Is there a way Rich can have newly registered members 'forced' to go to that thread in the registration process? That would be most beneficial. I believe you have to confirm your registration, could part of that confirmation be at least viewing that thread?

D80

Old 08-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #13
Drizzt80
. . . oooh, newbie tips . . . something about the banning procedure that trolls are subject to?

D80

Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #14
zwyatt
I've always thought that it would be nice that the first time a new member logged in they got a pop-up that redirected them to the FAQ's section, and they couldn't navigate out of it until they read the whole thing!

That's an interesting idea. I'll have to ask Rich what he thinks about somehow integrating it into the confirmation process, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. Right now it will probably just become a sticky at the top of the new members forum.

I really hate the length of the search tutorial. I've tossed around the idea of just cutting out all the explanation at the beginning and going straight to the actual tutorial. I really don't expect many of the new members (at least not the younger ones) to take the time to read it.
I'm hoping that just seeing a thread stickied at the top mentioning the search function will be enough to get at least a few people to consider using it.

Would trolls take the time to read the tips for new members? I can put that in there, but if they are just here to instigate trouble, will it matter if they are warned that they will get banned?

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:47 AM   #15
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwyatt
Would trolls take the time to read the tips for new members? I can put that in there, but if they are just here to instigate trouble, will it matter if they are warned that they will get banned?
I shouldn't have used the word troll so much as those that can't 'play by the rules'. It isn't just trolls that can/do get banned (3 day vs. 'life') Plus, maybe trolls wouldn't waste their time if they had to jump through an extra hoop in the reg. process. Who knows. Not sure if Rich can/would put something like that in.

D80

Old 08-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #16
zwyatt
A recent thread in the Gen. Chit-Chat forum has inspired me to get right to adding the part about 3-Day bans for trolls/inflammatory posters.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #17
ickle_moose
*Bows down to Zwyatt*

Seriously, it's so great that you took the time to do all this! I would also like to add my vote to newbs being forced to read this during the reg. process (it would have helped me tons, I know I sound totally blond here but it took me forever to even notice the sticky's, though I did make friends with search), but I realise that has a whole host of problems accompanying it.

Just a couple of copy-editor mistakes I noticed:

There is (ARE?) TONS of information archived

(Actually, not to be evil, just the copy-ed in me coming out, you could probably axe all of this (enables users to jump right into the tutorial and doesn't lose any of the important points. I too would like to forewarn newbies in this way, but there is a danger of sounding condescending. )

There is TONS of information archived in the thousands of threads on this site. That information is just waiting for us to locate it. It gets aggravating for members to have to answer the same questions several times a week. This is why we need to search for answers to our questions before starting new threads.

I don’t think any of us want to be that person that annoys everyone by asking the same questions that 100 people before us have already asked. By doing a search we keep ourselves from being that person. We should never be afraid of asking questions, but there’s no point in asking questions that have been answered many times already.

I know that using the search function isn’t a “sexy” thing to do. People think it’s time consuming and boring and we don’t get that interaction with other people. This doesn’t have to be true. In fact, searching can easily be much faster than taking the time to start a new thread, waiting for replies, and then reading all those replies. Besides, if all we are after is interaction with other members there are plenty of other ways to get it (chat, photo gallery, general chit-chat, misc. discussions, etc.).

I think

(LOVE the note to open 2 windows so they can see the tutorial!)

This is a VERY important thing. If your posts and questions are filled with misspellings and grammar (grammatical?) errors

I think I speak for all the forum’s members when I say that I’m looking forward TO talking to you and can’t wait to see your pictures!

Gah, now I look back on all of that it looks so harsh! Well, do with my suggestions what you will.

Fantabulous work, I hope to see it flagged and sticky'd very soon

Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #18
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ickle_moose
Just a couple of copy-editor mistakes I noticed:

Gah, now I look back on all of that it looks so harsh! Well, do with my suggestions what you will.
Not harsh at all. That's exactly the type of critiquing it needs!

I think I'll take you up on your suggestion to lose all the stuff at the beginning of the tutorial. I really want to cut the length down, and it shouldn't lose any of it's effectiveness if I do.

Thanks again

Old 08-11-2006, 06:13 AM   #19
CornCrazy
Awesome work! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

I have a suggestion for Rich...
When someone new joins, they get a confirmation letter. Maybe Rich could put links to this tutorial and the FAQ's in that letter. Maybe more "newbs" would read them that way.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #20
zwyatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornCrazy
I have a suggestion for Rich...
When someone new joins, they get a confirmation letter. Maybe Rich could put links to this tutorial and the FAQ's in that letter. Maybe more "newbs" would read them that way.
That's not a bad idea. It would certainly be more efficient than trying to cram either of them into the confirmation email itself.

Although, if they are anything like me, I just skim until I see the part that says click here to activate your account!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google