CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

How many holes to drill?

Old 08-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
0TG.
How many holes to drill?

My rack is almost complete, all I have left to do is to touch up some paint and drill the holes in the rubbermaid tubs and then it will be ready to go. My question is how many holes should I drill in the tubs to allow for ventilation and what size should I make the holes?

I will be housing six hatchlings in six 6.5 qt. tubs and two yearlings in two 38 (I think it's 38) qt. tubs.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
wax32
Don't drill the holes, use a cheap soldering iron and melt the point through the sides of the tubs... that makes perfect sized holes.

How many holes will depend on the ambient temp and humidity of your snake room. Start out with a few and you can make more later if you have to.

For my tubs I made holes about one inch apart all the way around the sides, near the top.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
0TG.
Thanks. Although I think I'd rather drill them. The thought of the stench of all that melted plastic is already giving me a mean headache, I hate that smell.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Blue Apple Herps
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0TG.
Thanks. Although I think I'd rather drill them. The thought of the stench of all that melted plastic is already giving me a mean headache, I hate that smell.
I thought the same thing. Trust me on this; melt the holes. It's sooooooo much easier. If the fumes really bother you that much do it outside. But drilling sucks so much compared to melthing.

And yeah, one hole every inch around the tub works great for me. Perfect temps and sheds.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
wax32
I did mine outside near the exhaust from our central air fan, so the smoke all blew away.

Drilling is hard to do without cracking your tubs.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #6
0TG.
Well I drilled them shortly after I made this thread. It wasn't incredibly difficult but a pain in the butt nonetheless. Next time I'll burn 'em.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:24 AM   #7
antsterr
If you find your self without a soldering iron you can always just use a nail and a candle. Hold the nail with pliers an use the candle to heat the nail up nice and hot. Melting this way does not usually get as hot as an iron and I've been able to do it with no smoke at all. As long as the nail does not start to glow red it usually doesn't smoke when you melt the holes.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
schnebbles
I went to a friend of mine here on the forum and used her solder iron. It was kinda fun, lol! I didn't even really notice fumes and we were inside.

It was very quick!

Old 10-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
tress29
When I drilled some holes, I got plastic stuck to the drill bit!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google